Cura 4.6.1 leaving features out of GCode

Alister

Posted · Cura 4.6.1 leaving features out of GCode

Hi,

have an interesting problem with a model I'm trying to print. It's a very simple model of a console for a model boat - a rectangle feature and some oval features for gauges. Cura 4.6.1 doesn't slice the oval features into the GCode. The code when previewed is missing the these features at the layers where they should be. Installed Mesh Tools, ran the check and 2 fix options, no errors. Model generated in Fusion 360.

I had this same problem when I included the features on a larger shape that included the box of the console, and had these features on the face of the box. I separated them out too see if that would help - alas it did not.

For comparison Slic3r captures these ovals fine, but the resulting print isn't as nice.

Not sure if it's a settings issue or something else. Would appreciate some help.

Original STL and both Cura 4.6.1 and Slic3r gcode attached.

Cura 4.6.1 AppImage on Linux Mint 19.3. (which reminds me I haven't tried slicing the model in Cura 4.6.1 for Windows). 

TIA,

Alister.

20200509_SuperQual_PLA_ConsoleFace v3.gcode ConsoleFace v3.stl Slic3r_20200509_PLA_0.12mm_ConsoleFace v3.gcode

You could turn on the "Print thin walls" setting. The cylindrical features are quite a bit thinner than the line width, so normally Cura will not put a line in their place.

That solved the problem - thank you very much.

Can you explain a bit further please why the problem occurred? I'm aware that there is a minimum width of line that can be printed, but thought it was related to the nozzle diameter (0.4mm in my case) and was keeping my walls (maybe that's the problem - lines vs walls) larger than that. In this case the inner and outer diameters of the cylinders were 0.5mm different which I thought would eliminate the problem.

Again many thanks in advance.

Alister.