cura finishing skin layer

Posted · cura finishing skin layer

is there a way to have the abs top finishing layer smooth instead of the circles whenever the print finishes 

any tips or little tricks to help specially for vapor smoothing instead of having to keep sanding smooth??

my typical settings

layer height  0.2

ironing standard setting

plate 105

nozzle 240

speed 40-60

IMG_5516.jpg

If you change the layer height from 0.2 to 0.1 there will be twice as many circles and so harder to see.  Each step will be half as thick so *also* harder to see.  Unfortunately it will also take twice as long to print.

Also you can look into "adaptive layer height" which is a feature in Cura where you can set the minimum and maximum layer height and it will switch to thinner layers at the top of your rounded-top part.

Posted (edited) · cura finishing skin layer

granted .

tried the .1 change still has it 

the adaptive layer is enabled which does help to some extent 

at the top i do have it with different infill which is needed being it has a threaded part on the underside so that needs the strength

notably i know there will be some post processing  the less on the the better for the smoothing part

currently the part takes 2 hours to print 

.1 takes around 2hr30 give or take which is do able perhaps im missing something here

side note would bumping nozzle to 245 add any help for this?

amazon abs

hopefully no one throws anything at me for being little hardheaded here 😉

(attached some of my current settings for viewing pleasure )

print8.jpg

print1.jpg

print2.jpg

print3.jpg

print4.jpg

print5.jpg

print6.jpg

print7.jpg

Edited by fellfromheaven

"use adaptive layers" isn't just a checkbox. There are 4 critical settings.

At the top of all your screen shots there is a search box - put "layer" into that.  Check "use adaptive layers".  now 3 new settings should pop up.  Hover over the text of each of them as they are described.  The most important is your base layer height (0.2 shown above) and "maximum variation".   If they are 0.2 and 0.1 respectively then it will stay in the range of 0.1 to 0.3mm (0.2 plus or minus 0.1).

I recommend getting down to 0.05mm layer height.  So maybe do 0.15mm layer height +/- 0.1mm.

Check that it's working in PREVIEW mode (at the top of the screen).   Then change your "color scheme" to "layer thickness".

Look at the size of the "circles" you were talking about.

think im trackin with u thus far . i honestly forgot about the search part pulling up the tidbits

hopefully this is what you talking about on ur recommendation for layers

unless im missing something here 

layerheight2.thumb.jpg.ffece668dbcffec499c22c58867507f1.jpg

layerheight.jpg