Ultimaker S5 first layer too close?

LePaul

Posted · Ultimaker S5 first layer too close?

Hi,

We have two Ultimaker S5's and noticed with active leveling, printing on glass,  the prints are very difficult to release from the bed.

Trying to improve from this, we purchased some magentic bed/spring steel/BuildTak sheets offered by PrintedSolid a while back. 

Due to the COVID thing, I haven't had a chance to try those out until this week (we are allowed back in the laboratory for short shifts for now).

The prints release with that lovely spring steel wiggle but on one printer, you can see the "ghost" of the location where the print was.

My experience with PEI surfaces have been you need to be a tad further away from the bed or the sheet will eventually fail (prints have to be peeled off or eventually rip the PEI sheet).

On my home Marlin-based machines, I know I can Babystep my first layer and adjust it (ideally during the skirt layers of a first layer).

How do others adjust for this?  On the printer?  In Cura?

Thanks! 

I just redid the calibration process with the calibration card again, this time making it a little 'looser'.

worked fine - have been using PEI sheet for months with no issues

yes the Z babystep function in marlin is one of the things I really MISS.   i would always have a 5 row brim setup 1mm off the print.  it gave time to adjust the offset to perfect every time, regardless of the material 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 first layer too close?

EDIT

If one uses the z offset tool, what would be the suggested distance to try?

I wish I could adjust it at the beginning of a print (Marlin babystepping)

I'm trying 0.1 and 0.15 to see how those go 

Edited by LePaul

2 hours ago, LePaul said:

EDIT

If one uses the z offset tool, what would be the suggested distance to try?

I wish I could adjust it at the beginning of a print (Marlin babystepping)

I'm trying 0.1 and 0.15 to see how those go 

Never really used it myself but my understanding is that it’s a offset from what the auto level sets at, so might only need to set to like 0.05 also I’m not 100% sure but to higher it would be a -0.05 value.

Left is 0.1mm offset, Right is 0.15mm offset 

Left is super smooth, right is smooth but you can see/ eel the individual lines of the bottom layer, so a bit too high

image0.jpeg