How to make a hole without supports inside the hole.

Posted · How to make a hole without supports inside the hole.

Hello,

I am trying to print this part, (attached). I need the hole to be clean, no supports. I have tried going into mesh fixes (remove all holes) also tried using the support blocker but in is not working. 

Interesting thing happens when I use Mesh Fixes... the hole support changes from a circle to a cross support inside the hole, even thought I click "Remove all Holes"

Also, If I print this part laying on its side it prints with-out the hole support, however printing on its side causes other issue with the part. I need it to print up right so the edges are smooth.

Anyone know of a fix or add on for this solution.?

Thank you for reading! 

rev11 (6).STL

• Like 1

Please post some screen shots of the issue you are talking about.  I don't want to guess what all your settings are.  In addition to the screen shots it might be helpful to do a "file" "save" and save the 3mf file which will contain your STL file inside, and all your settings, and your profile and your machine settings.  All stored in one 3mf file.

But first please post screen shots.  Maybe arrows to what you are talking about.

Thank you for your response. 

here are a few screen shots to help you get an idea of what I’m trying to accomplish.  
     I’m working on getting the file saved as you suggested so you can see my settings.  

2CF5A683-F511-4238-9498-CCC2024066B0.jpeg

A6945095-FD00-48DE-AFDC-ACBD1BDC9142.jpeg

Ah!  Got it.

You have many options.  Your print probably doesn't need any support at all so you can probably just turn it off.

However, to answer your question - you can use "support blocker".  First click on your part so it is selected (don't know why this is necessary).  On the left side of cura, there are a bunch of icons.  The bottom one, "support blocker", (maybe 3rd from bottom) - click that, then click at that base of your part.  It will create a cube there.  Then while that is selected, use the other tools on the left side to move and scale your cube.  You can uncheck the "lock" checkbox in scale mode if you want to scale the vertical differently from the x/y dimensions.

Then do a slice and see how well that works.  You might want to set "support horizontal expansion" to a small value or even to zero.

• Like 1