Ultimaker Original Not Being Recognized By Cura

iBenx_Neb

Posted · Ultimaker Original Not Being Recognized By Cura

image.png.1cae2445fadd24ffc0d6001bd4293003.pngimage.thumb.png.df00ac5fc760d332dd4e6fe13011b35b.png

Hi,

I recently got an UMO, and when I connect it via usb, it doesn't get recognized by cura. In Device Manager, it says the Genuino Mega 2560 (so it's working) and it confirms it in properties. I have arduino installed, and still can't figure out why it doesn't work.

Thanks.

You are doing great so far.  It's visible on COM5 so that's critical.  Note that many applications might tie up this port and only one can use COM5 at a time.  is it possible you launched other software (e.g. a second version of cura)?

1) Do you have an ulticontroller on your UMO?   It's a display that shows a few (4?) lines of text and has a knob to go through the menus.  If so then you are better off using the SD card.  Save your gcode files sliced on cura to SD and then print with SD.

2) For communication between a computer and a UMO, Cura is minimal.  It has the absolute minimum of features and capabilities as none of the currently sold UM printers use this feature.  So instead, if you don't have an SD card on your UMO, I recommend using printrun/prontrface.  It's free and full featured and MUCH better at seeing obscure COM ports (e.g. I don't think cura will acknowledge COM11 but pronterface will):

printrun/pronterface/prontrface download:
    http://koti.kapsi.fi/~kliment/printrun/

• Thanks 1

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I do have the Ulticontroller, but the spacers weren't included so we're making some. When I connect the USB to the Pronterface, it just says 'Connecting' but never connects. When I get the ulticontroller built, I'll update you. Thanks.

On pronterface you have to select the com port (com5).  You have to make sure cura isn't running as it may grab com5.  And you have to set the baud rate which I think is 115,000 (roughly) baud.  Then I think you hit a connect button or something.  If it works you will see a stream of gcode listing the settings of the umo printer (like steps/mm and max speed and max acceleration).

Anyway - since you have the ulticontroller I strongly recommend not using USB cable and using only SD card which slides into the ulticontroller.  Put the gcode file onto the card and put the card into the printer.

That way a windows update, or sleep screen (or 100 other similar issues on windows) won't crash your print.

IMG_20200702_212047299.jpg?width=439&height=585IMG_20200702_212100145.jpg?width=439&height=585

Hi,

I've hooked up the UltiController and I'm getting the blank screen like many others have got. The computer still doesn't recognize the printer so I can't update the firmware either. I've tried changing the COM port, no affect. If you could help that would be much appreciated!

Thanks

There's 2 ribbon cables that go to the screen.  There are 8 ways to connect them I think.  (two ways each cable and reverse connectors).  Are you sure you have them connected correclty?

Also inside the ulticontroller - if you take it apart (or maybe access through a hole) is a potentiometer that you can turn with a screwdriver.  That's a 10 turn pot I think.  Turn that many times in one way and then the other.  It's possible there is an invisible message and it's actually working already.

Hi,

Messed around with the UltiController and wires with still no good results. I don't see an invisible message however much I screw the potentiometer.

Thanks

IMG_20200703_173910272.jpg

IMG_20200703_173823220.jpg

IMG_20200703_173818663.jpg

Hello,

It was shipped with the wrong firmware. To fix this, I installed Cura 15.6.4 and updated it using the installer. It all worked fine from there. Weirdly, the newest version of cura still didn't recognize it. It's like it doesn't have the drivers? Anyway, I'll stick with using the old version or a different slicer. Which is the best that you recommend? Thanks for your help.
    Ben.

I really like Cura 15.X a lot.  It's from 2015 and usually gives me better quality prints than Cura 4.X.    I don't know why.  But mostly I use Cura 4.X.  Cura 15 is simpler to learn as it has many fewer features and it just works real well.  It's had something like 5 years of debugging.

But I need Cura 4.X for my newer printers and so tend to use it for everything.