Tips for printing with Ninjatek EEL filament?

n2d7

Posted · Tips for printing with Ninjatek EEL filament?

I am trying printing with the Ninjatek EEL filament with my Ultimaker s5 and I was not able to get any good prints at all. Initially, I used the specified settings with 230 C temp and 20 mm/s speed, which led to failed prints due to under extrusion. I was able to get some prints with 250 C temp and 10 mm/s speed, but the prints are have very flaky like texture (as shown in the image) and kind of brittle.

Since I am using an Ultimaker which has a bowden drive, it may not be the ideal printer to print with flexible filaments. And I was wondering if someone have experience with using it with a direct drive as well.

Can someone recommend me on how to print successfully with the EEL filament?

Image from iOS (5).jpg

Posted (edited) · Tips for printing with Ninjatek EEL filament?

Did you check the specs of Ninjatek Eel filament?

Extruder Temperature:  220°C – 230°C
    Platform Temperature: Room temperature – 45°C
    Glue or blue painters tape is suggested if not using a heated bed.

Print Speed:
    Top and bottom layers: 15-20 mm/ sec (900-1800 mm/ min)
    Infill speeds: 45-60 mm/ sec (2700-3600 mm/ min)
    Layer 2+ use cooling fan if available.

Slower speed is good, temperature of nozzle up to 250 is not good! Maybe the conductive material in the filament is clogging the nozzle...

I print Ninjatek Cheetah a lot (on an Ender 3 Pro), with low printspeeds and temperature somewhere between the values in the spec!

Edited by Mari
    • Like 1

I checked. I couldn't get any prints with the specified settings.  I tried with many temperature and speed combinations and the best I got from using 250C. At 230 C, the prints suffer from heavy under extrusion that the flow stops completely after a while.

I tried the same print with just changing the temperature only 250 and 230, and the 230 print stops due to under extrusion. 

On my Monoprice Ultimate 2, I had to modify my end drive with bowden tube inserts to make it so the filament can't wrap around the feeder gear.

Drilled out some holes, trimmed some tube, notched the tube, slid it in, done deal. I can now print flexible filaments.