Filling in area when I rotate..?

hoggie_trainer

Posted (edited) · Filling in area when I rotate..?

I am trying to print a wall.  If I leave it upright, it leaves the spaces.  If I flatten it (90 degree rotation) it doesn't recognize the windows anymore.  what gives???  I have 3 other prints just fine.  I have tried making the wall thicker.  No change.  I have 10% infill and no adhesion.  Everything else default.  Again- I have printed almost this exact model 3 previous times with no issues.  This one is just shorter and with the gargoyles.

upright model.jpg

flat model.jpg

flat model1.jpg

tall wall flat.jpg

tall wall flat1.jpg

Edited by hoggie_trainer

Posted · Filling in area when I rotate..?

This would make sense if your normals are backwards.

Did you download this model?  Or create it yourself?  If so what CAD software?  Since it's architectural I'm going to guess sketchup.  If sketchup then right click on all gray surfaces in the gaps between the windows and make them white by selecting "reverse faces".

Alternatively, Cura has an amazing plugin to test your model to see if something is wrong with it and can repair a very few of the many potential problems:
    In the upper right corner of Cura click "marketplace" and make sure you are on the "plugins" tab and install "Mesh Tools".  Then restart Cura.  Now right click on your model, choose "mesh tools" and first choose
    "check mesh", then "fix model normals" and "fix simple holes" to see if that helps.  Cura doesn't fix most issues so...

I made it myself.  Yes- SketchUp.  🙂   I printed the first, taller wall 3x. No problem.  They turned out lovely. Then edited by deleting upper and lower stonework and adding the gargoyles.  Put in Cura, saw no issues, rotated 90 degrees, and set to print.  Came back after awhile and saw a rectangle!  Eek!  That's when I tried to diagnose problem.  Pulling my hair out!  The gaps are there if the wall is perpendicular.  So not a SketchUp prob (I think).  I will try the Mesh Tools and see what happens.

good.

So sketchup is great for architectural models that *won't* be printed.  It's good for creating walk throughs.  But it's not as good for creating real things, like printable models, things that you can hold in real life.  Most cad software will not let you create non-solids but sketchup has no problem with it.  So if you are still new to sketchup I recommend switching but if you've put in over a few hundred hours then I'd stick with it.  Here's a guide on using sketchup for creating manifold models:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

It took me over a year before I could use sketchup like driving a car - I could do things without thinking about it.  My fingers would jump to the right shortcuts and so on and I could do things real fast.  When I switched to Design Spark Mechanical it was frustrating for a while but after about a year with DSM I can now make things just as fast.  My fingers fly over the mouse and keyboard without me being able to tell you what I just did.  Thought turns into action.