Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
kenny

Is Ultimaker PVA compatible with ASA

Posted · Is Ultimaker PVA compatible with ASA

Hi I recently bought some 3DXTech ASA filament. Very happy with it, it's been printing very well. I wanted to print some parts using PVA. and was wondering if anyone knew if it was compatible to use with Ultimaker PVA

Posted · Is Ultimaker PVA compatible with ASA

If it sticks then only a bit, depending on the geometry. ASA usually works fine with e.g. Ultimaker Breakaway material.

Posted (edited) · Is Ultimaker PVA compatible with ASA

I've tried countless times to get the Ultimaker PVA to stick to the ASA as a support material. It won't stick at all it drags across the part or just builds up around the nozzle. Thinking it may be moisture I dried the PVA  a couple of times on the print bed with the printer enclosed to help hold the heat in(and I store it in a zip lock bag with desiccant). It still did the same thing every time. I tried raising the PVA temp a little at a time up to as high as 240c, lowering the temp down to 215c (I started at 220c). slowing it down(30mm/sec). Lowering the standby temp of the PVA nozzle. Lowering the build plate temp down to 60c, 3Dxtech recommends " 90-110°C, cool the bed down by about 10-20°C after the first couple of layers". Any changes I tried I did one at a time.

The PVA works well as a support when I use it with PLA. 

I wrote to 3DXtech and they said their ASA works well with Ultimaker PVA but I may have to raise the temp of the PVA. Do I have to go higher then 240c?

I just can't figure it out.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edited by kenny