Digital factory connection issues

Posted · Digital factory connection issues

Hello,

We have a group of 3 Ultimaker S5 and 1 S3. We are running them in a group for 2 years . Since the digital factory firmware upload , we have a lot of troubles with untimely disconnections with times from 1 minute to hours long. But i don't think it is really disconnections , because when i type the Ip on chrome i can still access to the temperature graph or the api, i just can't access to digital factory via web or cura.

I tried to separate the group by putting every printer alone  and now everything works.

Can someone help me with that ?

Thank you in advance,

Hi,

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with the latest release.

In general I advice not to group printers in the local network anymore because of a whole range of issues that can occur related to local network configuration. We've noticed that its much stabler to connect printers to the Digital Factory individually. Sometimes these issues are caused by a bug on our side, but sometimes also by a customers' network configuration that is not fully supported by our printers.

Secondly, the more printers you have grouped, the more performance is required of the host printer, which can cause performance issues if the printer is also printing (the printing process always has the highest priority on the embedded Linux board).

If you can properly work with both printers separately connected to Digital Factory I suggest you keep that configuration. We are planning to introduce more virtual grouping features in Digital Factory at some point as well.

Chris

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have set up a printer on the cloud and created a group of individuals. I can print via digital factory but my student can't. He is on a mac and I am on a PC. He is in the people shared to use the printer.  In Cura, when I go to monitor, I see the 3D printer and a link that says manage in browser. He does not see that link. He only has the option to "print to file" in Cura. I have "print via cloud." Rather rambling message, but I hope to clarify with some useful discussion.

Thanks,

4 hours ago, jwise said:

I have set up a printer on the cloud and created a group of individuals. I can print via digital factory but my student can't. He is on a mac and I am on a PC. He is in the people shared to use the printer.  In Cura, when I go to monitor, I see the 3D printer and a link that says manage in browser. He does not see that link. He only has the option to "print to file" in Cura. I have "print via cloud." Rather rambling message, but I hope to clarify with some useful discussion.

Thanks,

Hi,

Is he signed in to his Ultimaker Account in Cura and can he see the printer in the dropdown list in the top left?

Furthermore, if he navigates to digitalfactory.ultimaker.com and signs in with his account, can he see the printer(s) there?

Chris

He can't. I think I misunderstood the "factory cloud" concept. Does this only work if you are on the same subnet as the 3D printer? With Covid, my student is at home on a different subnet etc. I assumed that when I share the 3D printer I was setting up an accessable IP address through the cloud to the 3D printer at my home. I tried two methods of connecting to the printer. I made the student a member of the shared computer group where I shared the printer. He shows up in the group and he can login the Ultimaker.com. That did not work as he could not print via cloud.

I gave the student my external home IP address to put in for the connection. I opened port 5353 on my router and pointed it to the UltiMaker 3 Extended. I assumed that port 80 and 8080 was already open. It did not work. Cloud printing works perfectly on my computer at home, but then again, I am on the same subnet as the 3D printer. Thanks for your help in understanding.

25 minutes ago, jwise said:

He can't. I think I misunderstood the "factory cloud" concept. Does this only work if you are on the same subnet as the 3D printer? With Covid, my student is at home on a different subnet etc. I assumed that when I share the 3D printer I was setting up an accessable IP address through the cloud to the 3D printer at my home. I tried two methods of connecting to the printer. I made the student a member of the shared computer group where I shared the printer. He shows up in the group and he can login the Ultimaker.com. That did not work as he could not print via cloud.

I gave the student my external home IP address to put in for the connection. I opened port 5353 on my router and pointed it to the UltiMaker 3 Extended. I assumed that port 80 and 8080 was already open. It did not work. Cloud printing works perfectly on my computer at home, but then again, I am on the same subnet as the 3D printer. Thanks for your help in understanding.

Hi,

It sounds like you're forwarding the local interface instead of using the Digital Factory cloud functionality. To set up a printer via the cloud and share it with other people I recommend to follow the steps outlined in this support article.

After that you can share the printer with your students as explained here, after which the printers will automatically be synchronised with Ultimaker Cura when signed in with one of the accounts that the printers were shared with.

Finally I recommend not forwarding ports on your router to printers on the local network as this leaves them open for tampering by anyone else that has access to the router.

Chris

I am aware of open ports, I was just exploring how things are working. Ports were only opened to specific IP address and are now closed.

All of the information you gave me in the articles I had done. The student is in the group and the group has access to the printer.

He opened Cura, opened his STL file, and sliced it. The only option he had was to save slice to file. I do the same thing and I see print via cloud and it works.

He is logged into his Ultimaker account. Going to digital factory, he can see printers and groups. He sees himself in the group.

We will try again and get back to you.

Joe

Got it to work with different student. Works perfectly. Question: Is the camera supposed to work over the cloud?

Joe

On 12/4/2020 at 11:11 PM, jwise said:

Got it to work with different student. Works perfectly. Question: Is the camera supposed to work over the cloud?

Joe

Hi,

Great to hear you got it working! Hopefully it'll work with all the other students soon as well.

The webcam works in the cloud if you run the latest stable firmware on and S3 or S5. A new image should appear every 10 seconds or so.

Chris

Thank you.