UM original Y axis motor command issue

3edegre

Posted · UM original Y axis motor command issue

Hi, thank you for your help.

Brand new UM self assembled. During setup I encountered and issue because the head didn't move correctly on the Y axis (curious noise and no or very small movements)

Details :

- first run wizard OK (upgraded firmware to Marlin during process)

- during the bed leveling wizard, the head doesn't move to the 4 corners, move just correctly on X axis

- checked carefully stoppers pulleys, belts and explored forums

- finally tried to remove the motor and it seems to work correctly (see below when I tried to invert the motors)

- checked connections, they appears correct.

- i made the test of connecting the X axis motor in place of the Y axis motor and it reproduces the issue on the other axis

The testing is using the control pannel on the UM then prepare > Move axis > 10 mm > and chose the axis.

Result, with the X motor command all is OK, with Y motor command the result is very small and irregular movements.

I hope that I gave enough information in order to help diagnosis.

Thank you for your help.

F.

Under your UM, on the electronics board, you will see 4 smaller boards. One for each of the 4 axes (plus a socket for a spare extruder if you do dual extrusion). These are sometimes called "stepper drivers" or "pololus".

There is a small potentiometer on there that you can rotate. It sounds like you might need to increase the current a tiny bit. If you turn it too much your stepper will gradually get very hot.

http://wiki.ultimaker.com/Electronics_build_guide#Tuning_the_stepper_motor_drivers

You could instead swap two stepper drivers and see if the problem moves. If it does you can write a ticket and they will probably ship you a new one for free on Monday.

If you choose to remove a stepper driver, it is easy but do it very slowly and carefully. Don't rush. Use something like a screwdriver to pry up one side part way. Then switch to the second side. Then go back to the first side. Go slow. It should take 2 or 3 prying tries. If you go too fast you will bend the pins.

Thank you for this very extensive and detailed answer.

- I first tried to rotate slightly counter-clockwise the potentiometer > still very small and irregular steps for 10mm request

- then tried to rotate slightly clockwise the potentiometer > still very small and irregular steps for 10mm request

- then tried to rotate 30° clockwise the potentiometer > still very small and irregular steps for 10mm request

- launched the test for 1 mm request > movements are near the same than for 10 mm request

- then I removed carefully the stepper drivers X and Y (it was not difficult) and placed the X stepper driver in the Y slot > same wrong result.

Let me know if I can make some additional testing or how to be in touch with support about this issue.

Thank you for your cooperation.

F.

When you say 'same wrong result' after swapping the stepper drivers... did the problem stay on the same axis as before, or did it move with the stepper driver board? I think you're saying it stayed on the same axis, which means it's not the stepper driver, but the underlying electronics.

You can open a support ticket with Ultimaker at:

http://support.ultimaker.com

Thanks illuminarti and gr5

Yes, you're right, it stayed on the same axis, which means it's not the stepper driver, but the underlying electronics.

I've created a support ticket ID #FYB-670-76902

Both your support are greatly appreciated.

F.

3edegre - what country do you live in? Please update your profile to reflect that, thanks. Depending on the country I have different advice. For example in USA you can get a new Arduino on ebay for $20 shipped and that is probably the part that is broken at this point and you would have a much shorter wait if you go that option.

thanks gr5, I live in France and the machine is brand new (I just received it 1 week ago ;-)

I hope that the support team in Netherland will be as reactive as you were ;-) I ordered the kit especially because it was ready to ship and we have some jobs to do with.

Crossed fingers X

Thank you again.

F.

If it were me I would request an arduino from Ultimaker in the ticket *and* order a spare Arduino at the same time. You want the "Arduino mega 2560"