Spool and Filament Waste Management: Ideas, Advice, Resources?

Posted · Spool and Filament Waste Management: Ideas, Advice, Resources?

Good Morning Everyone, 

I am reaching out to you guys to hear experiences about a systemic way to re-purpose/recycle empty spools and leftover filament.

AXMYn02iYBg38dyq7Y8pQxpNfxilO9WneSFh5M8tVWODQ-ntl5ZpIHiOH2vMIpRQ1ovOWRiArd0QLsEnlR_Cr3NHSTXhGOsP-WUUOiRLGHLjYg1oHqLqgMKG5eGaWotcjg_W74QWXC3x1rO_1HgfuBmPZqTWOph6O3fjnNyj8lUqmKRfbz7ICUrReNcj3sWbYqbUHT6yQBZ78uE0l0UV63Km_jkouX2K_r9Aip8FZLtHqr-0vEC2gZFlpG2G9XBwbzwUFbRED7bKI_5rossil22xQsq_vDPLcznhclwkdWTTbT97cZK4TXZKyKBZdqawq2-gB2TtOIVvP9QfxUfT12hm6uPA4V81l-1y8jmyIGjxUiBMvRZu5fP18lSzxM_AArIvY2HRDngeSc4mNHcVlcUK8AuLkQvL04JswW3K0VoS0yxzk026sINS4BgSmZRNbaLUuV4SGHDbz5NPkG3brGrgaiTSzbFtPhWUvg9JoKnDaaxvLxBixw8aq967GAdndpewUHYc1swQPsx_JmFpet6SE8OsMtb2msrlmbPdwRu7ncZ0KfAH0iJ6AK_8vk6EOTuQ8OPMnnasJXP3Quy2tMqEbyFTTzoS1uIvGzoF0KKdEZlZn0gcrqgKTEjl2IEE8kJ5GSrVgHZfNMbIgxTbSmbRwcDL1myY9Zk82CqLmgArxfmFiAwC081RIApLSw=w1250-h937-no?authuser=0

As you can see in the picture, we have a lot of empty spools and leftover filament (leftover bits from Material Station) that we have been accumulating over the months. I tried to research online but everything I find are gimmicky ways to re-purpose spools, but that is not really a solution once we start talking about the hundreds of thousands of spools that are being manufactured and discarded every day within our 3D printing market. I reached out to some manufacturers and resellers of filaments and it seems this is not really a concern for any of them, so I decided to reach out to you guys, as users, to see what are your thoughts about it? Any short-term and long-term solution you guys had adopted for this issue of plastic waste?

Feel like I will also be sharing the page for the UN Sustainable Development Goals, specifically SDG 12 (https://sdgcompass.org/sdgs/sdg-12/) . Great resource for businesses and individuals when trying to find ways to make our living and modus operandi more sustainable. 

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Spool and Filament Waste Management: Ideas, Advice, Resources?

I take my spools to recycling center unless they're the re-usable type. I'm saving all of my waste filament sorted in 50 gallon drums for experimenting with extruding my own filament later. Once I get a full drum I'll start experimenting with that