New print core not recognized in S5

cthermo

Posted · New print core not recognized in S5

So I wanted to try out the New 0.08 AA print core I purchased in Aug. 2018 in our S5.  (I never had a chance to try it out until now since the printer has been so busy.)

Every time I insert the new print core it pops up with an error message "An unrecognized print core was inserted in the print head." and then the S5 display locks up.  The only recovery from the locked up error message is to turn off the printer and then turn it back on again. 

I have cleaned the contacts on the print core as per the instructions from the online troubleshooting guide. The contacts looked perfect as this was a NEW print core that I purchased from Matterhackers.  Even after cleaning, no change.  I also have a CC 0.06 Red print core and the original AA 0.04 print core that have no problems being recognized.

Do I have a faulty print core?  Is there anything else I can do to get it working?  Can it be replaced/exchanged for a working unit?

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Unrecognized print core error.jpg

Hi Andy, 

Did you clean the print core according to the instructions found here? And have you tried to insert it in both slots, just to be sure? It is rare, but not impossible that it is a faulty print core. Have you reached out to Matterhackers already? 

SandervG,

Yes, I did clean it, but no change.  I also tried it in both slots.  Other print cores have no problem so I strongly suspect this is a faulty print core.  I contacted Matterhackers but since it was more than 30 days since I purchased the core, they sent me to Fbrc8.com as they are Ultimaker's North America support partner.  Fbrc8 have sent me a shipping label to send the print core to them.  They suspect a corrupted firmware. They want to "reflash the components firmware directly onto it and ensure that it's reading properly on the S5 we have here".

I appreciate the support I am getting so far.  It is critical for businesses to have that support so that work can continue.  

Meanwhile, I have purchased backup print cores to have on hand.

Andy

Custom Thermoelectric

Hi Andy, 

Thanks, I am happy to hear so. FBRC8, our US partner, always does a great job and I trust you are in good hands with them. Although we do our best to prevent any malfunctioning with our equipment, you can't rule everything out and in that case it is important to have a support network you can rely on. 

Let us know if you have any further questions or how it plays out with your print core!