heating issues with um1

kwatts

Posted · heating issues with um1

Hey Folks,

This may be a fun one, I for one are out of ideas on what is wrong.

I have a um1 , batch6, if that helps to narrow it down. I also have a ulticontroller and dual extrusion setup with v2 hot heads.

2 weeks ago, i had a pretty bad clog in my primary head, it got the point where even manually at 240' i could not push pla through. I noticed as well that there was enough pressure and elasticity, that i if i tried to push the pla maunally via the stepper moter, it would not strip, but if i let it go it would unwind its self.

So i took apart the main head and tried to clean it. Put it back to gether and it printed for 5 min and got the same problem. repeat 2 more times. during this time i noticed that the heat would some times drop 10/15 degrees, which i couldnt explain.

this weekeend i took the whole head apart, cleaned both of the head thoroughly.

Started to put it back together, when i noticed that when i set the temp of nozzle 1, it doesnt heat up. ok, so i tried to heat up nozzle 2, that works.

so i swap heater from nozzle 2 to, 1, that doest work.

turning the machine one and off in-between all the tests, now when i set the temperature in the controller to 200 on both nozzles do not register the change on in the ulticontroller lcd display, both sit at ~25/000

i have tested to make sure its not the thermocouplers or the electronic boards.

the both get the temperature of warm/boiling water.

i have tried both heater cartriages with both sets of thermocouples and electronics and i have tried them in both heater output on the ultiboard.

does anyone have any ideas where i can go from here?

Thanks in advance.

Kym

Better clarification now with a clearer head.

so i have an ulticontroller, if i plug in a heater cartrige in to heater 1 or heater 2 , then connect the thermacoupler amplifier and thermo coupler to the 1st or second input on the black cable.

on the ulticontroller it displays the current temp and the set temp.

if i set the nozzle of either 1 or 2 to a number higher than 000, it doesnt register the change on the lcd and the heather blocks do not change temperate.

That's much clearer but I actually understood the first time. This is just bizarre. It is saying the temperature of the nozzles is reading just fine. There is seemingly nothing wrong with the heaters or the thermocouples. It is entirely in the Marlin firmware when if you ask for a temp it still displays 0 as the requested temp.

Seems like Marlin crashed or something. Maybe re-install it? Maybe get another Arduino. I don't know about Canada but in the USA they are about $20 including shipping. So why not buy two?

Hey GR8,

Thanks for the reply.

I updated the firmware, took 2 goes to get it to update.

On the ulticontroller, it now says :

error: mintemp

will try to pick up another arduino incase that is the issue as well.

Cheers

Kym