S3 Incorrect auto-leveling

Vitalmechanics

Posted · S3 Incorrect auto-leveling

Our printer is consistently seeing a low spot in the middle of the bed which isn't there - I've tried manual leveling with the same result. Something I've noticed is the whole print head rotates up a little as it's coming into contact with the bed in some spots. Could the bearing be loosely seated?

1686052513_2020-10-1322_40_51.thumb.jpg.40cd2ef1dd1d55b0ce02786dd4b1d64a.jpg

Can you check if the glass is really flat? Maybe turn the plate and print again, just to see if there is any difference.

That the printhead is push up a little bit is normal, but you should see this also in other spots during the leveling.

I've cleaned and flipped the glass bed upside-down, and the same thing seems to be happening (maybe in a different spot):

1090479398_2020-10-1419_00_56.thumb.jpg.9ebe4c461f4598b33a2caad900ee9b58.jpg

How much play is normal on the print head? I can jiggle the nozzles forward/backward (along Y) by maybe 1 or 2 mil with the rods locked.

Make sure none of the 4 long screws at the top of the head are loose.  I removed the rear 2 to check the connector and forgot to put them in.  I did a few prints like that!  quality was worse.  The head rocked quite a bit around that shorter bearing - like as you describe.  Probably not your issue.  You probably have normal "play".

The glass is tempered and the way the glass is made it's higher in the center - I mean the original sheet which is a few meters wide probably.  I think Ultimaker specifically gets glass cut only in the center to get the flattest possible tempered glass (I think it's a mistake to use tempered glass but that's another topic).

Anyway as a result the glass tends to be higher down the middle front to back or sometimes more like just thicker in the center like a tiny mountain.

So then when you level at the 3 screws what happens is the rear 2 corners tend to be quite a bit low and the center tends to be pretty close but a bit high.

Check the glass while attached to the bed with a straight edge.  If it's more than 0.3mm higher in the center you should maybe demand a new one from your reseller.  This happens sometimes (people demand better glass) and it's kind of expected I think?

But also note that it takes only an ounce (200 grams) of force to bend the corners of the glass up.  Just the weight of the glass on a flat surface with some thin coins (dime?) will make it flat again.  So for me I just bent the hell out of that aluminimum plate underneath until it made my glass flat.  But then I realized the other side of that plate is a circuit board with easily damaged traces!!!! Oh no!! I was lucky though - no damage.  🙂

Oh - I just saw you said "S3" in the subject.  Active leveling should compensate for the glass being higher in the center.  Hmm.  WTH?  Watch it level - when it's probing in the center is it touching the bed for a longer time than other areas?  If so then there is probably a spring issue.  Either the core spring is a bit weak or the springs in the bed are too stiff/tight.

Update: tightening the screws on top of the printhead seemed to help, so thanks! Not sure why or how they were loose out of the box but it's now printing level.