Silkworm G-code

varcosl

Posted · Silkworm G-code

Hi I created a g-code in Silkworm plugin for grasshopper. I am trying to open the g-code in Cura, but it doesnt allow me. How do you import gcode files from CUra?

I am trying to directly go to File/ Open / gcode files

Thanks for your help!

Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 3.58.10 PM.png

Posted · Silkworm G-code

Is the file really a gcode file or does it just have a visible extension with .gcode?

Have a look in the Finder when you go to the file and then press Command I what the file type is. MacOS does not always show all file extensions and if the file eg. xyz.gcode.txt means then Cura would refuse to load the file.

[gr5 translated below text into above text]

Ist die Datei wirklich eine gcode Datei oder hat sie nur eine sichtbare Endung mit .gcode?

Schau einmal im Finder wenn du auf die Datei gehst und dann Command I drückst was der Dateityp ist. MacOS zeigt ja nicht immer alle Dateiendungen an und wenn die Datei zB. xyz.gcode.txt heisst, dann würde Cura sich weigern die Datei zu laden.

Posted · Silkworm G-code
    2 hours ago, Smithy said:

Ist die Datei wirklich eine gcode Datei oder hat sie nur eine sichtbare Endung mit .gcode?

Schau einmal im Finder wenn du auf die Datei gehst und dann Command I drückst was der Dateityp ist. MacOS zeigt ja nicht immer alle Dateiendungen an und wenn die Datei zB. xyz.gcode.txt heisst, dann würde Cura sich weigern die Datei zu laden.

Thank you Smithy, it is actually a .txt, whicht I changed the extension manually...any clue in how to convert a .txt file to a .gcode?

Posted · Silkworm G-code

cura is mostly a slicer.  It converts STL files to gcode files.  I'm not sure if you can also use it to send a file through USB.  You might want to try repetier host.  I'm pretty sure it's free and probably does a better job than cura for sending files through USB to a printer:

https://www.repetier.com/download-now/

Anyway to answer your question maybe change the filename to end with ".gcode".  That might help.  Like "myfile.gcode".

Posted · Silkworm G-code
    45 minutes ago, gr5 said:

cura is mostly a slicer.  It converts STL files to gcode files.  I'm not sure if you can also use it to send a file through USB.  You might want to try repetier host.  I'm pretty sure it's free and probably does a better job than cura for sending files through USB to a printer:

https://www.repetier.com/download-now/

Anyway to answer your question maybe change the filename to end with ".gcode".  That might help.  Like "myfile.gcode".

thank you gr5, Ill try with repetier. 

Posted · Silkworm G-code
    8 hours ago, varcosl said:

Thank you Smithy, it is actually a .txt, whicht I changed the extension manually...any clue in how to convert a .txt file to a .gcode?

There is no need to convert the file, it is just the filename or better the extension. So when you rename the file it should work.

Posted · Silkworm G-code
    2 hours ago, Smithy said:

There is no need to convert the file, it is just the filename or better the extension. So when you rename the file it should work.

great, thank you!