S5 latest update failed with "2 minutes to go" just sitting there for four hours.

paulpugh

Posted · S5 latest update failed with "2 minutes to go" just sitting there for four hours.

Thank you for your time and patience. Sometimes it hangs at that point. If it is obvious it got stuck you can restart (but don't get too impatient). Let us know how it goes when you have tried again tomorrow! 

• Like 1

Posted · S5 latest update failed with "2 minutes to go" just sitting there for four hours.

I have tried three times and still cannot get the update to run correctly. I restarted all of my network devices to verify there wasn't a problem with the network. I am noticing lots of issues with wifi with the printer, also Cura connects to the printer briefly and then says its disconnected, though the printer thinks it actually connected fine. 

Is it possible to put the firmware update on a USB stick as a way to update the printer. 

6 hours ago, paulpugh said:

Is it possible to put the firmware update on a USB stick as a way to update the printer.

Yes you can download the file from the UM website and put it on a USB stick. Just make sure you use the correct file, R1 and R2 are different and must match your printer. If you have the UM robot on the side panel you have to use R1, if you have the U on the side, then use the R2 firmware.

Another question, from fw version do you try to update? Is it maybe a much older version? Because in that case you cannot update directly and you need to install a stepstone version first.

Actually that was a false assumption. I checked my printer and found it to be the R1, I am a bit surprised as I just bought it as new two months ago. Is there a guide that outlines the differences in the hardware or what was addressed in R2?

The biggest and most important difference is that the robot isn't anymore on the side panel 🙂 just joking, but we miss him 😪

6 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The biggest and most important difference is that the robot isn't anymore on the side panel 🙂 just joking, but we miss him 😪

Well, joke or not it is the most obvious differentiator. If you have a robot it is R1, if it has a U it is R2. 

haha.  So I have the right firmware on the USB drive but my S5 continues to want to use the internet version. How do I tell it to load the version from the USB stick. I looked through all of the settings menus but did not find an obvious option. 

thanks

According to this page https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011545559

• Go to Preferences > Maintenance > Update firmware, and select the new firmware in the update menu

Thanks, I actually followed those steps before and have tried again, but it seems stubborn,  it really wants to download the version on the Internet. If you see the attached screen you can see it says "downloading" also the light on my USB stick in the phone does not blink with any activity. 

IMG_8774.jpeg

The machine did restart on its own and after being on the logo screen for quite a few minutes went to this screen where it has been for about 15 minutes. 

IMG_8775.jpeg

hmm, I am nearly out of ideas, but two more things you could try.

Turn off the printer and leave if switched off overnight. We had an user a few days ago who had a similar problem and leaving the printer switched off for a longer time helped. Not sure if it helps you also, but you could give it a try.

Another idea is to disconnect the printer from the network, that isn't able to download the firmware. But to be honest I don't think this is the problem, I guess you will have to same result when you load the firmware from USB stick. It gets stuck during installing the firmware and not during the download.

I would first try to switch the printer off and leave it off overnight. 

Thanks Smithy, I did try that but electronics don't really need sleep, a power off might let some power holding on the circuit board or the power supply to dissipate but that's a matter of minutes at most.

What I ended up doing was a turning off wifi then doing a factory reset. Only then would it find the firmware update on the USB drive and it installed fine. I re-setup the printer and have a print running now. phew.

thanks for you help.

I agree that electronics don't really need a sleep, but we had a similar issue in the past and the sleep phase has solved the problem.  Maybe no need for overnight, but I don't know how long it takes until the capacitors are empty.

But anyway, great that you were able to solve the issue and that you are up to date now.

Happy printing...

wow, happy that you managed to get it to install. I will share this experience with the development team. Without logs or data there is only a limited amount of things we can do, but it is still good to share. Our apologies for the inconvenience. 

By the way, what was the final conclusion.. did you get an R1 or R2?

Thanks for the support.

I have an R1.