Slicing question

Friknik

Posted · Slicing question

That is a really bad model.  In addition to not being watertight, it has numerous surfaces that don't fit right.  I tried to do something with it in MeshMixer but I don't know that software very well although I made some progress.  The way your model is now it will not slice and won't print.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, GregValiant said:

That is a really bad model.  In addition to not being watertight, it has numerous surfaces that don't fit right.  I tried to do something with it in MeshMixer but I don't know that software very well although I made some progress.  The way your model is now it will not slice and won't print.

ok thanks

But it seems the new file is also not correct. Do you use Sketchup to design the model? If so, please use something else, this software is known to generate files which are not printable.

And here your repaired STL from the netfabb service I mentioned above. Looks better and should work I think.

3D_Cave_Novo_fixed.stl

Smithy was faster.... again... 🙂 - but anyway:

Somehow i doubt that it is supposed to look like this....? So probably.... nope.

image.thumb.png.2f3c5bd89392dd212425771c2751ed7d.png

A solid, manifold, "watertight" object is crucial for 3D printing. This one is a mess of 43 separate shells with either unconnected or intersecting faces. Partly with wrong normals and so on.

You should consider to use a CAD program for modeling of such things...

If you want to repair it manually, there are several tutorials, something like this:

https://www.sculpteo.com/en/3d-learning-hub/create-3d-file/fix-non-manifold-geometry/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

Smithy was faster.... again... 🙂

😜

• Like 1

A woodcut "print" by a Dutch artist too.  I'd have thought somebody here would have noticed that the model looked a lot like MC Escher's "Relativity".

Relativity.thumb.png.3106db41fe0ef44815e5104b9fd373f2.png

15 hours ago, Smithy said:

And here your repaired STL from the netfabb service I mentioned above. Looks better and should work I think.

3D_Cave_Novo_fixed.stl 132.21 kB · 1 download

thank you very much smithy

I am glad I could help! Happy printing 🙂 

3 hours ago, Smithy said:

I am glad I could help! Happy printing 🙂 

thanks again.... but the stairs are missing.... i think i will redraw this again and use netfabb.... thank you very much :)

I am sorry that it was not useful, but unfortunately it can happen with an auto repair function.

Best is to use a good CAD software and not Sketchup (I assume you use it 🙂 ) then you don't need to repair it.

On 10/30/2020 at 7:11 PM, Smithy said:

I am sorry that it was not useful, but unfortunately it can happen with an auto repair function.

Best is to use a good CAD software and not Sketchup (I assume you use it 🙂 ) then you don't need to repair it.

you did the best....yes i use skechup.... i´ve already draw the model in fusion and there is no errors.... thanks again man

Thanks for the feedback and happy printing 🙂 

sorry the delay.... good printing for you too smithy