Problem with printing my own stl file

petieke

Posted (edited) · Problem with printing my own stl file

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to print my own stl file, which i made in Tinkercad. I'm just trying to print a little box, but it doesn't work. I think it's something with the gcode because when I print a gcode that I found online, it looks good, as you can see in the pictures. I'm using Cura 4.7 and have tried many different print settings but it doesn't get any better. I've added an example of a gcode file that printed horrible. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong? (I'm using a Balco 3D printer.) Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Arne

box (2).jpg

boat.jpg

box.jpg

Box.gcode

Edited by petieke

Posted · Problem with printing my own stl file

The first layer isn't sticking.  There is no top or bottom to the shell (but that may be how you want it).  The first layer height is 0.3 which may be a bit far.

In Cura:

Add a skirt to get the plastic flowing before starting into the model.

Change the Initial Layer Height to 0.2mm.  That should give it a better chance at sticking to the build surface.

Check your Printer Profile and insure that your nozzle is what you actually have installed.  The line width is set to .4 but width-wise nothing is connected so it's possible you have the nozzle set to something smaller.

If you still have trouble, then try setting the Initial Layer Flow to 115%.  The point is to get that first layer down.  After that it can go back to 100%.

Posted · Problem with printing my own stl file

Your main issue is that the first layer is too high off the bed (I think - would be best if I could see the first few seconds after it starts).  Does your printer do autoleveling?  Manual leveling?  for most printers, manual leveling is better so if that's what you are doing, just move the bed a little closer to the nozzle while it prints the bottom layer until it sticks nicely.