Nozzle cover woes with new cores (Ultimaker S3)

donogh

Posted (edited) · Nozzle cover woes with new cores (Ultimaker S3)

I recently started getting nozzle cover failures during prints. It's hard to pinpoint when it started happening. It possibly coincided with switching to the 0.6mm Ruby CC Core, and then the 0.8mm AA Core.

Attached is a photo of actually one of the less dramatic examples. In this case the print completed successfully.

Image from iOS (8).jpg

In the other cases, a loose bed seems to have contributed to the problem. I have since tightened the 'clamps' on the bed and conducted manually leveling (because auto leveling was subsequently failing). Attached example of failed print due to plate movement.

Image from iOS (9).jpg

Can anyone offer advice on this issue please? I had a decent supply of nozzle covers and now I'm down to one, only after a few weeks of printing with the new Cores.

I am following the nozzle cover replacement procedure to the letter, and they fit snugly prior to these failures.

For completeness, here are two photos of the print cores (after removing the failed nozzle cover):

515181812_ImagefromiOS(10).thumb.jpg.e8eec70e16919fe75f5338d3aa082ca3.jpg1771645218_ImagefromiOS(11).thumb.jpg.bcd5e8c5148068579e12e3c0b3705581.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by donogh
added photos of the print cores

Posted · Nozzle cover woes with new cores (Ultimaker S3)

it's really hard to tell what is happening here, you seem to be saying the silcom covers are failing some how ?, this doesn't make a lot of sense. I cannot see how the one in the photo managed to split.

I have been using the same cover with all cores, including a CC for over a year and it's still fine. To get them to fit correctly you have to persevere and hook each corner and flap in the appropriate groove, it should then sit flat on the bottom of the print head failure to do so will mean they get caught, i assume this is what is happening.  

Posted · Nozzle cover woes with new cores (Ultimaker S3)
    On 11/13/2020 at 12:58 PM, Link said:

it's really hard to tell what is happening here, you seem to be saying the silcom covers are failing some how ?, this doesn't make a lot of sense. I cannot see how the one in the photo managed to split.

I have been using the same cover with all cores, including a CC for over a year and it's still fine. To get them to fit correctly you have to persevere and hook each corner and flap in the appropriate groove, it should then sit flat on the bottom of the print head failure to do so will mean they get caught, i assume this is what is happening.  

Fair enough, thanks Link.

It hasn't happened since I applied the last one. I'll keep an eye on it.