Cura 4.8 bug?

gregr

Posted · Cura 4.8 bug?

I just sliced a new design.  It's fairly simple.  A 30x230 mm cylinder with M18 threads cut into each end.  The cylinder showed the internal threads in cura, but when I printed it, it printed solid with no 18mm hole or threads.

The stl file is fine as far as I can tell.  A similar design printed fine at 240mm with identical settings.  I created a shorter one to fit my printer better.

Just logging it in case it pops up elsewhere.  The one with the problem was printed vertically.  I'm going to try it horizontally and see if the threads are there.

Posted · Cura 4.8 bug?

Ok, I did a couple of tests.  First, the same stl file printed the internal threads when the object was horizontal.  Too bad they are threads and a cylinder that need to be printed vertically.

Next, I reloaded the stl and looked at the preview, and in fact the internal cylinder and threads appeared as infill, which is how it printed (no top or bottom layer, just exposed infill).  I guess I missed that the first time.

I then loaded 4.7.1 back and it renders fine.  So it is definitely a bug in 4.8.

Let me know if you want the stl.  Like I said its pretty basic and it would probably be faster to design one than wait for me to send it.   I designed it in fusion 360 if that means anything.

I'm sticking with 4.7.1 for now.

Posted · Cura 4.8 bug?

Ok, I did a couple of tests.  First, the same stl file printed the internal threads when the object was horizontal.  Too bad they are threads and a cylinder that need to be printed vertically.

Next, I reloaded the stl and looked at the preview, and in fact the internal cylinder and threads appeared as infill, which is how it printed (no top or bottom layer, just exposed infill).  I guess I missed that the first time.

I then loaded 4.7.1 back and it renders fine.  So it is definitely a bug in 4.8.

Let me know if you want the stl.  Like I said its pretty basic and it would probably be faster to design one than wait for me to send it.   I designed it in fusion 360 if that means anything.

I'm sticking with 4.7.1 for now.

Ok, I just noticed I could upload.  here is the stl

handle-sect-230.stl

Posted · Cura 4.8 bug?

I sliced it as well with 4.8.  Has open threads top and bottom, same as shown by Greg V.

Posted · Cura 4.8 bug?

Hmm, ok, there was something unusual in the slicer settings.  10 wall layers and 6 top/bottom, and fwiw, 75% gyroid fill.  This may be overkillm, but the part prints like a rock.  It will be used as a harpoon, so needs to have weight and good impact resistance.  

Glad to hear it worked for you.   I'll try it again when I get a chance, maybe play with the layers and fill.

Thanks for looking into it!

Posted · Cura 4.8 bug?

Oh, and here is the gcode file that shows no threads or internal hole.

handle-sect-230.gcode

Posted · Cura 4.8 bug?

Reviewing your Gcode file the model sliced perfectly.  You asked Cura to "Remove all holes" and it did.  No problem.

Posted · Cura 4.8 bug?

This is a follow-up to my last post when I was having difficulty getting Cura 4.8.0 to connect over USB to my ANET A8 printer.

Great news.  I got Cura working, thanks to an excellent YouTube video. It was short and directly to the point, with complete instructions for fixing it. The video is "How to fix Cura or Slicer Not CONNECTING to 3D Printer Creality Ender 3?" by Joseph-Israel.

Turns out that Cura doesn't allow long enough for the Marlin 1.1.9.1 FW to initialize
    on the ANET A8 8-bit board. The following modification will tune Cura to wait longer
    to connect after it reboots the printer.

Inside file C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.8.0\plugins\USBPrinting\AutoDetectBaudJob.py

Change:
    wait_bootloader_times = [1.5, 5, 15]
    To:
    wait_bootloader_times = [5, 15, 30]