Can't define Custom FFF printer with 1.75mm diameter

Anar

Posted · Can't define Custom FFF printer with 1.75mm diameter

Hello to everyone,

I want to define a new custom FFF printer in Cura 4.8 that will use 1.75mm diameter filaments.

But each time I change "Compatible material diameter" in "Machine settings" it will turn back to 2.85mm.

Therefore it doesn't show me a list of 1.75mm diameter compatible filaments that I could choose from.

Am I doing something wrong and could someone please point me in the right direction ?

I've also done the test in Cura 4.3 and Cura 3.6 without success : same issue.

Cheers. 

• 1 year later...
    On 12/2/2020 at 9:54 PM, Anar said:

Hello to everyone,

I want to define a new custom FFF printer in Cura 4.8 that will use 1.75mm diameter filaments.

But each time I change "Compatible material diameter" in "Machine settings" it will turn back to 2.85mm.

Therefore it doesn't show me a list of 1.75mm diameter compatible filaments that I could choose from.

Am I doing something wrong and could someone please point me in the right direction ?

I've also done the test in Cura 4.3 and Cura 3.6 without success : same issue.

Cheers. 

Seems like a very late reply, but I just bumped across your post while finding an answer myself:

I don't think so you are doing anything wrong, but 1.75mm is not supported by Ultimaker printers as far as I know. Hope someone can guide better.

Ahoeben was right and that was my mistake.
    Sorry. I should have post back long time ago to say thanks and let people know that it resolved my problem (using a comma instead). Well... never too late so thanks Ahoeben !

@amitmonash : it is competely doable to use 1.75mm filament on a Ultimaker as soon as you have hacked the filament pushing mechanism.
    I don't know for a UM5, but I did that on a UM2 and a UM3 without problem and they both work very well now with either 1.75mm or 2.85mm filament which gives much more choice as they ate not stuck to only use 2.85mm.

On 2/10/2022 at 7:03 PM, Anar said:

Ahoeben was right and that was my mistake.
    Sorry. I should have post back long time ago to say thanks and let people know that it resolved my problem (using a comma instead). Well... never too late so thanks Ahoeben !

@amitmonash : it is competely doable to use 1.75mm filament on a Ultimaker as soon as you have hacked the filament pushing mechanism.
    I don't know for a UM5, but I did that on a UM2 and a UM3 without problem and they both work very well now with either 1.75mm or 2.85mm filament which gives much more choice as they ate not stuck to only use 2.85mm.

So just to be clear on this @Anar, my understanding is I need to :

1. Change extruder accessories in printer that will allow for any filament size.

2. Change Material settings in Cura to create custom material that has (1,75) as filament size.

Does it have impact on Print Profile like retraction rate, filament overflow rate, hot end temperature etc.

Is there a video link that I can follow?

Posted (edited) · Can't define Custom FFF printer with 1.75mm diameter

Yes amitmonash you got it right.
    First thing to do is to change the filament pushing system for another one and then I suggest to create a new printer in Cura that you could call "Ultimaker 1.75" for example. Then you will need to edit this new printer settings to use 1.75mm instead of 2.85mm. This way it's easier to swap from one size filament to another : in Cura you use regular Ultimaker when extruding 2.85mm and then tell Cura you want to use "Ultimaker 1.75" when extruding 1.75mm. 

I did this hack something like 4 years ago so I don't remember exactly all the settings that have to be changed. But for sure the filament diameter of course. It shouldn't have any impact on retraction, flow rate, temperature, etc. as far as I remember. But you might have to adjust them depending on your tests.

I don't have access to these modified Ultimakers anymore because they were at my old job that I quit.

But I think I still have photos and modified printer profiles somewhere.

If I can find them back I will come back to you.

Happy hacking !  

Edited by Anar
    adding a comma
    • Like 1

Thanks for the info @Anar, I will have to wait until I can find the accessories as they are discontinued. When said that I have ordered 2.85mm from my local manufacturer, hope they send the correct one this time!

I will revisit this post once I have the mechanism available as I do have 1.75mm that I would like to print at some point.

I couldn't find back the photos of the modified UM with the 1.75mm mechanism but it was a mechanism exacly like  this.

Note that you should be able to find much less expensive similar ones.

But I did find some notes back that I had taken for myself and here they are:

* filament diameter appears at 2 places in Cura :
    - Machine settings (Extruder1)
    - Material definition

* I modified my flow down to 83% (I suggest you do your own tests)
    * I modified my speeds to 40mm/s (feedrate) and 150mm/s (travelrate)

And I also saved 2 images of the Cura settings that I have attached here.

Cheers.

UM2_1.75.jpg

UM2_1.75_ext.jpg