Auto Leveling Failures

flyntm

Posted · Auto Leveling Failures

I frequently get an Auto Leveling failure at the start of the print.  I find I can fix it by taking an x-acto knife and scraping a little blob of material off the nozzle tip.  I'm wondering if anyone / everyone else deals with this minor but annoying issue?  It seems that the material is not retracted quite enough and then a little oozes out on to the tip and then hardens.  It makes sense that the auto level would fail with that blob on the tip.

Thanks for your insight.

Thats not the reason why your auto leveling fails. The printer heats up your nozzle before leveling so the blob is soft enough and should not disturb the process.

To solve the problem, try a diagnostic check in the menu for the leveling sensor and check the message. Try it more than once if the first try is ok. Often the bed itself is too high or too low (often too low) and bring up the bed a few millimeters is often enough to solve the issue. Just turn all 3 screws and then do a manual bed leveling. 

I ran Maintenance>Diagnostics>Bed Level Sensor 5 times and each time it says "Sensor Performance is good".

I then turned all 3 screws and raised the bed slightly and did a manual bed leveling. I then ran the active level process 3 times with success.  Now, back to printing and we will see what happens.

Thanks for your help.

There are also some things you can check if it happens again.

First check the wires from the sensor board. When you open the front door you see a small board with white and red wires. Check if they are fine, not visible damaged and well connected.

Next check the connectors on the back of the print head. Maybe disconnect and connect them again.

Another reason could be that one of the side fan wires are damaged, which results in interferences which is bad for the capacity sensor of the auto leveling.

Last reason, something else around your printer produces interferences.

But let's see, maybe raising the bed was the solution.

Hi Flyntm,

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the automatic bed leveling. Could you provide a bit more information on your setup?

1. What model printer are you using?
    2. What print-cores are you using (inc nozzle diameter)?
    3. What materials are loaded when the leveling fails?

In addition to this it would be very helpful to have a look at the logs. When the leveling fails, could you save the log files and share them? I will try to see if I can reproduce and see if I can find the problem.

I have done 5 prints since I followed Smithy's recommendation and raised the bed slightly.  It appears to have solved the problem.  Thanks Smithy!

You are welcome and I am glad I could help 🙂