"Travel" Settings for Overlaps

GregValiant

Posted · "Travel" Settings for Overlaps

My printer hates all the retractions necessary at the top of tree supports and the roof interface.  Having to pause, pull the filament, and resume is a pain.  I'm good at re-starting after an abort but that doesn't make it less nervous.

I figured I could add a support block / mesh modifier and turn retractions off for the roof support at least.  Not an option.  It appears that no Travel Settings are available for Mesh Modifiers.  I find that odd.

Why aren't any Travel Settings available for Mesh Modifiers?

I see.

Now Nallath, I don't claim to know your software very well but I do know one thing - the words "Simple" and "Cura" hardly ever appear in the same sentence.

C'mon now admit it.  You missed a trick didn't you?

Because they often don't appear in the same sentence is exactly why we try to keep the code implementation more simple. Cura is a very complicated bit of software and the more cases we have to take into account, the harder it becomes.

If we can just assume that travel is handled the same everywhere (eg; without any modifier meshes) it makes things a lot easier; Travel moves don't need to be cut up, no strategies need to be defined for travel moves that are right outside another object, etc.

Alright.  I know that Cura is an intricate and convoluted piece of work and that the Team is smart and dedicated so I guess I understand why it wasn't implemented.

Looking at it as an opportunity for an enterprising old man to come up with a workaround isn't satisfying even though the name for the workaround "Double Slice - Double Splice" is snappy.  If the POS printer could handle all the retractions without clogging up the need wouldn't have arisen.  Maybe I'll work on automating the DSDS.  That won't be simple either.

Thanks for the reply.  My understanding of Cura goes up another infinitesimal step.  On the bright side it means I won't have to think up the wording for a feature request.