Help on firmware

Posted · Help on firmware

Hi 

I am new to 3d printing. i have 2 ender pro 3 with marlin 0.0.6 software and i would like to know if the software needs updating. If so what software update would i need 

, also the best way to carry out the update if possible. Any help would be good thanks.

Regards KF

... firmware-updates for your ender 3 pro can you find on the website of creality!

If the printers are working properly, why updating the firmware?

For firmware-upgrades you need some software to put the update onto the mainboard (also to be found on the Creality website) and a cable (to connect your PC to the mainboard of the printer). If your printers have a bootloader there are other ways to do firmware-upgrades!

Other question, how do you know you have marlin 0.0.6.? I have also a Ender 3 Pro but I can't find out which version Marlin I have...

Thank's for your reply.

You can find out what software you are running by going to the About Printer option in the printer control panel .

I understand there can be a problem with thermal runaway  and this is disabled on the ender printers, i have read that this can cause a fire. Updating firmware enables this and will fix any bugs in the present software. 

Regards KF

Posted (edited) · Help on firmware

Here @Mari.  Merry Christmas from another E3Pro user.  There are instructions.  It's a windows program so if you are on Linux it won't help.

When the program starts and you open the Com Port it will cause an "external reset" of the printer and when the printer comes back up it will let you know the firmware version, buffer size, etc.

Edited by GregValiant

I have noticed that "external reset" when Octoprint connects to my printer, screen goes blank, white screen appears with Creality's Dragon-logo, after that I get the info-screen... nothing more, nothing less...

Not on the screen - it's part of the response that comes over the USB

Posted (edited) · Help on firmware

... within Octoprint I have send the M115 command... it seems I have Marlin 1.0 installed!

Send: M115
    Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V1; Sprinter/grbl mashup for gen6 FIRMWARE_URL:http://www.mendel-parts.com PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:www.creality3d.cn EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000

I have the latest FW-version downloaded from Creality website, but I need some sort of cable to perform the update with the included software... Some time ago I asked Creality what kind of cable that should be (probably the kind they included in their BLTouch package... but I'm not planning to buy/install BLTouch)...  Ofcourse: NO ANSWER... (they probably don't speak English at all 😉 )

Edited by Mari

It only comes up on mine when the printer is off, and the USB disconnected.  Then turn the printer on and plug in the USB and open the port.  After that, opening and closing the port brings up a short version.

M115 doesn't bring up the version on my machine either.  I'm in a long print and a reboot is a bad thing or I'd send a screen shot.

Please do, after print is done... I will be patient 😉

Here's the printer response to an M115.  No version number.

M115.thumb.png.706cde9b5ef872dd4fffebffe58508dd.png

On 12/10/2020 at 12:29 PM, Mari said:

My Ender 3 Pro has no "About Printer" option available...

Mine is (1) below the "Change TF Card" command in the first screen after a button click.

Here is the start up screen from a cold boot.  This is with the 1.1.5 silent board and stock firmware.  Marlin version is 1.1.8.  The stock 1.1.4 board was Marlin 1.1.6 and the printer is 12 months old.

867550095_AStartup.thumb.png.9444776b650029beb50e84216d390107.png