Print fails: layers stop to stick together at some point

Orange1234

Posted (edited) · Print fails: layers stop to stick together at some point

I randomly get some strange print fails and I have not figured out yet what causes it.

I attatched a picutre of the fails. The left side is printed in vase mode (spiralize outer contour, one wall) and the right side is printed normally with 2 walls.

At both prints, the bottom layer seems to be fine which I think means, that it's not an calibration error of the bed. 

It looks like at some point, the printer doesnt really touch the layer it is printing on anymore, goes a little distance and then touches it again, until it fails completely.

Ideas so far were:

-check if the temperatures are stable

-check if the filament spool has any issues

-try with a different filament brand

but none of them seem to be the problem and randomly the fail happens again.

Does anyone have a clue what could be the issue? Could it be a setting in cura that causes this issue?

I have the latest version of cura (4.8) and the left fail happened just today

edit: also just tried to increase flowrate to 105% and increase temperature from 200° to 205°, but still failed

20201212_160831.jpg

Edited by Orange1234

Posted (edited) · Print fails: layers stop to stick together at some point

- If the print always fails at exactly the same height, check your Z Axis.

- This seems like a very thin and high part, does the wall start to wobble at some point maybe?

- How is general adhesion between layers? Try to increase line width by 10-20%, that way the filament gets "squished" and sticks better to itself.

Edited by Ray_McRay

Posted · Print fails: layers stop to stick together at some point
    On 12/12/2020 at 4:18 PM, Orange1234 said:

It looks like at some point, the printer doesnt really touch the layer it is printing on anymore, goes a little distance and then touches it again, until it fails completely.

Z steps calibration could be another probable solution

Posted · Print fails: layers stop to stick together at some point
    18 hours ago, Ray_McRay said:

- If the print always fails at exactly the same height, check your Z Axis.

- This seems like a very thin and high part, does the wall start to wobble at some point maybe?

- How is general adhesion between layers? Try to increase line width by 10-20%, that way the filament gets "squished" and sticks better to itself.

it is not at the same heigth that is fails unfortunately... sometimes its pretty early (at 0.5cm) and sometimes much later at 4cm.

So insteady of 0.4mm linewith you mean I should try about 0.45? it is weird though that the first lines are pretty much perfect, with good adhesion and nice details

17 hours ago, Ray_McRay said:

Z steps calibration could be another probable solution

okay, I will read into that a little deeper as soon as possible to be sure to not messing up my calibration 😄

hope it will help 🙂