error "printer setup disabled, gcode cannot be modified", any solutions?

darksteve1985

Posted · error "printer setup disabled, gcode cannot be modified", any solutions?

The error message pretty much says it all.  When you load a gcode file it can't be modified.  You can change it in a text editor.  Cura can interpret a Gcode file into a cartoon for the Preview pane but that's it.

"this happens once i load an image in to write from g code in order to put into labista"

I'm sorry.  You'll have to explain more because I have no idea what that means.

• 8 months later...
    Posted · error "printer setup disabled, gcode cannot be modified", any solutions?

I have the same issues, I export a file as an ultimaker format package. Rereading this file raises this "error". Nothing has changed in the settings. Just exporting and rereading. Pretty weird. Up to now I've used this format to exchange files with co-workers without any hassle. Any ideas on what is going wrong here? I've even completely reinstalled Cura. The only thing I've changed is the way I connected to the printer. I used to be via direct utp connection and now it is setup as a cloud printer.

Thats the way it works, if you want to load and reuse a saved project in Cura, then you have to save it as project (.3mf) and not as gcode or ufp file.

I know I can save it as a 3mf file but a co-worker saved as ufp file and I need to get it working. Up to now I could read ufp files. I got a message how to handle the file and suddenly I says the g-code is not suitable for the printer and printer configuration before sending it. To investigate the issue I saved a project as ufp file and immediately reread the file. Same issue. It is frustrating because it used to work.

An ufp file is the same as a gcode file, just zipped and with an additional image attached. 

And both files, gcode or ufp are already sliced files and cannot be loaded and changed as you like to do it.

A real Cura project 3mf file, has everything saved which is needed to load and reslice in Cura. You can always change parameters or other things, but not when you just have a sliced file.

Think about a cake, when it is already baked you cannot add an egg more to it.

Ok, understood. It will always remain a mystery why it was possible to edit it. Thanks anyway