Ironing with Raised Text

smo99

Posted · Ironing with Raised Text

Hello! I'm a newbie user and am amazed with Cura!

I am printing a small face plate for a flight sim that has raised lettering in two places, but the rest of the face plate is flat (the raised text is the last few layers of the print).

When I printed it the first time, it had some lines in the top of the face plate (raised text printed fine). But I'm looking at the Ironing feature and wondering if this is valid for me? Will it iron the top layer of the face plate before it continues to the raised text layers (obviously, I would uncheck Only Top Layer)? Would it mess up my text or is it too fine/small of a change to matter for that?

I'm printing at 0.1mm with Super Quality settings. Overall it's printing great, but I'm looking for a way to smooth that top layer but NOT screw up the raised text. Kinda wish for an option to only iron certain layers...

Thanks for your thoughts! Merry Christmas!

Ironing was designed by a guy (neotko) who prints and sells thousands of items with raised text on top of flat sections on the top of the print.  So yeah, ironing might help.

But your diagonal line is almost certainly caused by a combing move.  Set "combing mode" to "not in skin" to fix that diagonal line.

Also to answer questions like this also look at your print in PREPARE mode and you can see where it is doing the ironing by scrolling through both vertically and on certain layers, horizontally scrolling.

Thanks for the info. I tried it out and it worked incredibly well/better than without. I still had a couple travel lines. I had Combing set to Not in Skin, etc. But the final product was very acceptable. 

• Like 1