Help upgrading

DSumner
Go to solution Solved by gr5,

Posted · Help upgrading

I have been printing with Cura 3.2.1 for the last year and a half on an ANYCUBIC Mega S and have fine tuned the printing profiles. I see the current release in 4.x.x. My basic question is are my printing profiles saved if I upgrade? Or does the upgrade leave the old version of Cura on my PC?

Thanks.

• Solution
    Posted · Help upgrading

Sometimes they are saved and sometimes not.  3.2.1 is an excellent version of cura so you might want to just stick with that unless you need some new feature.  I strongly advise going forward to save your projects.  Whenever you save anything to a gcode file, also do "file" "save..." and that will create a project file.  I have found these much more dependable than profiles.  They save everything - the model (stl), the printer settings, the profile, and the settings (overrides to the profile).  Also they save the rotation and position of all the parts that went into the gcode file.

Anyway the point is, I don't save profiles - I save project files and when I print something similar I open a project file and it loads EVERYTHING.  Even the printer settings.  Perfectly.  Even across versions.