3d file sliced in cura not printing; 3d print head grinding off of belt.

Zeesa

Posted · 3d file sliced in cura not printing; 3d print head grinding off of belt.

I have a file that I prepped in Meshmixer, exported as an stl file to Cura, and sliced to download onto my drive. But, no mater what I try, the file does not print. The print head immediately goes to the far right of the belt and makes a grinding noise. I have checked settings on both my printer and Cura, and have even deleted and reinstalled Cura, but nothing works. My 3d printer isn't having any of these problems with my other files. My printer is an anet et5x.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 10.13.24 PM.png

731813933_AET5X_ahahaayitsyaboy.gcode

Posted (edited) · 3d file sliced in cura not printing; 3d print head grinding off of belt.

I can open the file in Notepad++ but Cura tells me the file may be corrupt and it won't open it.

At 161mb and 5,480,369 lines that's the largest Gcode file I've seen, and at 4+ days to print it's also the longest.

The first move in the file is G28 to home the print head.  After homing it stays in the area of the left front corner to print the skirt around a part.  All the early gcode is consistent in that area.  There are no moves above X100 until line 9434 in the gcode.  The MaxX in the file is 297.036.

The problem is either that the file size is making your printer sick, a bad memory card, or a glitch in your firmware.  The printer is making a move that is not in the gcode.  That's never a  good thing.

The image shows the gcode file read into AutoCad.  There are no movements off the build surface of 300 x 300.  This is through Z 24.75.  FYI The magenta lines are travel moves.

M.thumb.png.fd71edaeca4053fd28a6fb8a2737153c.png

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

Posted · 3d file sliced in cura not printing; 3d print head grinding off of belt.
    On 1/3/2021 at 12:37 AM, GregValiant said:

I can open the file in Notepad++ but Cura tells me the file may be corrupt and it won't open it.

At 161mb and 5,480,369 lines that's the largest Gcode file I've seen, and at 4+ days to print it's also the longest.

The first move in the file is G28 to home the print head.  After homing it stays in the area of the left front corner to print the skirt around a part.  All the early gcode is consistent in that area.  There are no moves above X100 until line 9434 in the gcode.  The MaxX in the file is 297.036.

The problem is either that the file size is making your printer sick, a bad memory card, or a glitch in your firmware.  The printer is making a move that is not in the gcode.  That's never a  good thing.

The image shows the gcode file read into AutoCad.  There are no movements off the build surface of 300 x 300.  This is through Z 24.75.  FYI The magenta lines are travel moves.

M.thumb.png.fd71edaeca4053fd28a6fb8a2737153c.png

I had no idea! In Cura It told me it would only take 2 days to print too, so thats strange... I could try modifying the original stl again and see if that works? But if the file itself is just messed up, is there anything I can do about it? this is the original file

Platter.stl

Posted (edited) · 3d file sliced in cura not printing; 3d print head grinding off of belt.

With that many parts on the build plate the chances of one failing and taking the others with it are pretty good.  A clogged nozzle 30  hrs into the print could be a disaster.

It was my bad.  I see it is 2+ days to print.  But 53 hours running continuously is tough on the machinery.

My advice is to split this up into 3 or 4 models at a time.  I know you have a big build plate but it isn't necessary to fill it.

If you can't alter the Platter.stl file then use support blockers and set them to keep a bunch of pieces from printing.  The image below is 1 big support blocker set as a cutting mesh.  You can add more and scale them and move them like you would any other model.  Even with that support blocker the print is 22 hours.  If it was me I would block out a couple more for the first print and then uncover some and block others for the second and third prints.

C.png

Edited by GregValiant

I went back, rescaled the print a bit, and only fit 7 pieces onto the plate. I used Meshmixer for supports and to make it manifold, and tried to print... and bam. Same exact issue. The print head tries to go off again. Im about ready to just give up on this print, I have no idea why it keeps acting up when no other file has given me this much trouble. I haven't changed how I'm setting up the print at all from my other prints so I'm just lost why it keeps going awol.

1786662783_Dinraaltryagain.gcode 1114796484_dinraalstl.stl

Same thing.  The problem is not in the Gcode.

Have you tried re-formatting that memory card?  Checked it for sector errors?  The file is still huge and may be getting written to that card in areas that aren't accessed by your smaller files.

Edited by GregValiant

I just reformatted my SD card and it immediately fixed the problem! Thank you!

The printers aren't sophisticated enough to tell you there is a problem with the card.  They just start doing weird things and then you have to scratch your head and wonder what the heck is going on.

Congrats.

Are you planning on gluing that mess together?  What I do is put matching 2.2m holes into each part about 3mm deep.  When I assemble the parts there are matching locating holes.  I cut pieces of filament and glue them into the holes in one part, then the mating part knows where to locate.  It gives a little more strength as well.