Ultimaker S5 with material station

IOOS

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 with material station

Hi there,

We have two ultimakers S5 with two material stations here. In one of the ultimakers, a custom filament type has been configured already and it also shows on the touchscreens in the filament types.
I want to know what the correct procedure is in order to upload custom filament types to the printer/material station.
I have already created a custom material type profile in Cura, but how do I get this to sync to the printer?
I read somewhere it will be synced automatically after closing and restarting Cura/the printer, but I already did that several times, and still nothing.

We use Cura 4.8 and firmware of the printer is 5.8.2.

Kind regards

Edited by IOOS

Posted · Ultimaker S5 with material station

Okay, So I found the problem: I was connected via the cloud.

Can I get a username and password for accessing the device API? I would like to remove some filaments from the printer.

Another problem I found is the following:

I have created a profile for a certain filament:

Name: ICE9 rigid brand: TCPoly material: heatconducting nylon Color: Grey

But they have another variant which is flexible, but otherwise the same settings. So in Cura these are the properties:

Name: ICE9 flex brand: TCPoly material: heatconducting nylon Color: Grey

As you can see, only the name is different, but the rest is the same. However, in the printer I only see the ICE9 rigid and not the flex. The thing is, in the printer it does not display the name the name I gave it in Cura, but the following:

Heatconducting nylon dark gey

Which is the material type followed by the color. Why is that, it makes much mores sense to display the name of each filament and not the material, because as you can see, if one has several variants of one type, they are not displayed.

I checked in the XML file of the material, that in the name element consist of several subelements:

<name>
          <brand>TCPoly</brand>
          <material>Heat conducting nylon</material>
          <color>Dark Grey</color>
          <label>ICE9 RIGID</label>
        </name>

Ultimaker displays the material and color subelements. But this makes no sense, it should the name or brand first and then the color. The material type should be displayed in a cosequent folder.

Can Ultimaker change this behaviour?

Hi, let me check with one of our product experts and get back with you. But if you look at the existing material profiles on an Ultimaker (let's take TPU as an example), if you browse through the list of materials on your Ultimaker you see only material types, like TPU 95A listed. Which is:  <material>TPU 95A</material>

So perhaps you could change the <material> field to what you want it to list? 

1 hour ago, SandervG said:

Hi, let me check with one of our product experts and get back with you. But if you look at the existing material profiles on an Ultimaker (let's take TPU as an example), if you browse through the list of materials on your Ultimaker you see only material types, like TPU 95A listed. Which is:  <material>TPU 95A</material>

So perhaps you could change the <material> field to what you want it to list? 

Hello Sander,

I understand what you mean, and it can be solved by naming the material name to the actual name I want to list.
    But in my case: both filaments are the exactly same type of material. Only, one is flexibel. And if I do it that way, then it it makes no sense in Cura, because Cura already groups everything by brand.
    It would make more sense to change the display option in the ultimaker: display the name first and then, if one wants, they can go further to check the other properties like the material and brand.

Also, is there any update on making the removal of materials in the printer less of a hassle? I read that it is possible by either resetting the printer or via the web API, but I hope you agree with me that that not very user-friendly and it is very time consuming?

Kind regards

10 minutes ago, IOOS said:

But in my case: both filaments are the exactly same type of material. Only, one is flexibel.

Hi! Well, that makes them not the same, does it? 😉 Since one is rigid and the other is flexible, that would be exactly what you would put in the <materials> field. If I may make a suggestion:

Brand: TCPoly

Material: ICE9 PA Rigid

Color: Dark grey

Label: should be used more for like references to a certain layer height, or for 'engineering profile'. So whatever applies here. 

The other one could be:

Brand: TCPoly

Material: ICE9 PA FLEX

Color: Dark grey

Label: should be used more for like references to a certain layer height, or for 'engineering profile'. So whatever applies here. 

I agree that it can be quite time consuming, especially when you need to figure everything out for the first time. But I'm sure it will become easier over time, and on top of that we're also working on making it easier to manage but that will be for a future update. So stay tuned 🙂

I wanted to follow up on this discussion by linking to a support article with instructions on how to access API and how to remove materials if you want to: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016857859-How-to-troubleshoot-issues-with-material-printer-synchronization-

Instructions are on the second half of the page. Good luck! 

• Like 1