Ultimaker 3e damage assessment

Domodel

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3e damage assessment

So, here in Croatia we recently had some quite devastating earthquakes, and luck would have it may UM3e didn't take it kindly...

What happened was that an old TV was placed in an awkward location (it's been on my to-do list to trow it away for a while... ), and during the earthquake it fell on the UM3e, and rolled over it. The bad thing is that the TV in question is gigantic and some 40+ kg. The good thing is that Ultimaker makes beastly machines, and for the most part it just shrugged of the blasted thing!

There were some obvious minor damages, a bowden tube was crushed, y-axis rod has been detached and doesn't seem to want to firmly click back into place and I'm not sure, but it feels like z-axis stabilizers were ever so slightly bent. Other than that, I can't seem to find any additional damage, it still turned on, and was able to ejects filaments. Pretty soon I'll be able to send it for repairs locally, and I hope that they'll notice if there's anything else wrong with it, but just in case, do you have any recommendations on what else I should check, any ideas on what else could be damaged in the process? 

Some pics:

Bowden tube qGRSKis.jpg

Detached rod hAJEz5N.jpg

The culprit 6uyfnH5.jpg

Once again, props to Ultimaker, I was there when it happened, and it looked horrific, I can't imagine many other 3D printers handling it this well!

Edited by Domodel
spelling

Posted · Ultimaker 3e damage assessment

Hey, thank you for your message. Your Ultimaker is all like 'you should see the other guy!' 😉

The bowden tube definitely needs to be replaced. It is possible that the sliderblock is bent or perhaps cracked. You should be able to get both from your reseller. When you have received new sliderblocks (if the current one doesn't hold your axles anymore) I would recommend to do a calibration to ensure your Ultimaker is not bent out of shape.

Instructions: https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017142879-How-to-align-the-axles-on-your-Ultimaker-printer