Odd Noise at Top and Bottom of Build Plate Travel

CTotten

Posted · Odd Noise at Top and Bottom of Build Plate Travel

My older S5 (about 2 years old) just started making an odd noise at the very top and very bottom of the build plate travel.  It seems to move normally, and no odd sounds except the last few mm either at the top or bottom.  It sounds like a plastic squeaking noise, like when you try to run a screw through a tight piece of plastic.  I cleaned the lead screw and re-lubricated it.  I lubricated the two guide rods.  And I visually inspected it to see if I could see anything stuck in the lead screw.  Nothing, and it don't solve the issue. 

It sounds like a chunk of material got into the lead screw bushing, but I don't see an easy way to take that apart to clean and inspect that area.  Any guides available for replacing the build plate or the lead screw?  That would probably get me what I need.

I also have the same problem, if you put your hand on the Z axis screw, you will find that the Z axis servo motor is working and causing the sound.

The problem was improved after I manually leveled it, but it was not completely resolved.

So I want to find the factory default Settings in the System Settings screen to see if I can solve this problem.

If you haven’t already it’s worth checking the white “housing” at the back of the build plate for rubbing against the linear bearing shafts. Mine makes contact in my S3 and makes noise at the top and bottom of the build plate travel.

I haven’t found a fix yet, the holes simply don’t align to the shafts.

• 11 months later...

@elamanna any progress on your issue with the housing rubbing on the shafts? I just inherited an S5 with a new job and this is what I think is happening to mine. It's only noticeable when it does the calibration, but once it starts a print you don't hear it due to the small increment of height change. However only one shaft is rubbing on the housing and the other seems to be concentric to the shaft. 

I'm dragging on the backside of this Z shaft. I have to shave down the plastic housing apparently. I emailed Ultimaker about it and here is their response. 

Based on your description, it sounds like the table cover (the white plastic part of the bed plate with the Ultimaker logo on it) is rubbing up against the side of one of the Z-shafts. This is something that we have only seen happen on rare occasions. The quickest way to resolve this would be for you to unseat the cover, then use an x-acto knife (or another blade that is similarly small and thin) to shave out that side of the opening out a bit. It may take a few attempts to get the clearance you need; but it should allow you to resolve the issue.

Here are instructions for that process:

• Remove the Cable Covers from the machine. To do this, just grab the corner facing the inside of the printer and pull outwards. The covers should easily come out.
    • Unseat the clips securing the sides of the Table Cover to the bottom bed plate. To do this, use your thumb to press down on the top of the cover while simultaneously pulling the bottom portion of the clip out away from the bed. I generally find this easier to release the clips on both sides of the cover at the same time.
      • The cover should now be able to be moved freely up and down the z-shafts.
    • With the cover unseated, hold it steady as far to the left as you can with your right hand while carefully shaving out the left hand inside portion of the opening.
      • You will want to do multiple passes with the blade, making sure to try to keep an even amount of pressure across the entire left hand section, including closer to the top and bottom of the opening.
      • After shaving out the opening, use a can of air or something similar to blow any of the shaved debris out of the opening in the cover and off of the z-shaft.
    • Reseat the inner clips on the Table Cover by pressing down on each of the clips near the inside of the bed plate. You should hear an audible clicking sound. Note that one or both of these may have become secured when reseating the outer clips - so you may not hear anything when pressing these points.

IMG_1347.jpg