"Tree Rings" on print

ShopGeezer

Posted · "Tree Rings" on print

I am curious about marking on my prints that resemble tree rings. This is on thin wall prints for an RC airplane in Cura 4.8. The files print well but all of them have faint markings that are not on the files. I haven't see this before. The photo shows the markings ( the faint ones, the stronger lines are on the print file). They are faint so you will have to enlarge the photo to see them. I have never paid much attention to the patterns on the models in Cura in the preview screen. There are all kinds of surface markings in the preview screen look like moire patterns.  Is it possible that some of these patterns have slipped through to the print? Or is this some sort of seam issue with settings in Cura?

Cura Screenshot.jpg

Tree Ring.jpeg

If you will post the stl file and do a Save Project and post the 3mf file somebody can take a look.  Did you happen to have Adaptive Layers turned on?  It might be a feature of the "Dynamic Quality" .16 layer height profile.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · "Tree Rings" on print

This is a purchased set of plans from Eclipson and they ask that their files not be posted or shared anywhere so I will respect that. Adaptive Layers is turned on in the profile. Do you recommend that I turn that off? Eclipson recommends three profiles for their models, A, B, and C. Their plans specify the Cura settings for each profile, and show which parts are printed with which profile.  I modified the Cura Dynamic profile for each one. The prints use no infill and no supports, just thin skins and internal structure to make them as light as possible. 

Edited by ShopGeezer

I understand regarding the copyright.

It sounds like they did their homework on how to set up Cura.  Adaptive layers is good at horizontal surfaces that aren't quite flat.  It's also good for domed features.  For those types of geometries it can do a good job softening the "step height".  On that piece since it's printed vertically I don't think you'd need it.  I'm more of a mechanical guy though.  @kmanstudios may chip in.  He does a lot of artwork and may be able to advise better.

Just to be clear, I see the patterns in the preview and I'd guess that is the adaptive layers doing that.  In the printed part, are you talking about the seam looking things - kind of like tree branches or the veins of a leaf or the fainter more numerous markings?  I wouldn't expect to see those heavier ones on an airfoil.  This is where it would be really handy to be able to play with the model in Cura.

Just so you know, you're asking questions about an RC plane from a guy who has planted a couple in trees.  I wasn't very good at U-control either.  After an afternoon of flying, all 4 planes would fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

Edited by GregValiant

8 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Just so you know, you're asking questions about an RC plane from a guy who has planted a couple in trees.  I wasn't very good at U-control either.  After an afternoon of flying, all 4 planes would fit in a 5 gallon bucket.

😂 Me too....

If I am reading this right, the moire pattern is a result of the pixel resolution of the screen attempting to display the really tight lines in the preview. I imagine they go away once you zoom in.

Now the print; are the lines matching up to the internal support structure? They remind me of leaf veins. Seams would not do that. Seams make straight lines.

Hi. The strong centre line and its branches are on the print. Not sure why, the don't line up with internal structure. The very faint lines are the ones I am curious about. They seem to be very wood grainish. Look like the surface of a plywood sheet. This certainly may be due to adaptive features at work. I will try a print with that turned off and see what happens. 

Planting model airplanes in trees is a time honoured tradition. That is why I always have a chain saw handy. I must admit that the more time I spend on Real Flight 8.0 on the computer, the fewer trees are endangered. Winter is slowly grinding to a close here so flying season is just around the corner. Better get this airplane printed and ready. 

I was young.  I didn't need no stinking chainsaw.  I climbed the damn trees with a fishing line wrapped around my foot.  Attached at the other end was my father laughing his butt off.

I never understood why he wouldn't let me fly the beautiful 6 foot PBY Catalina that he built.  It's not as if trees were growing in the lake!

Lake monsters. My flying boat was eaten by one. I was flying close to the surface minding my own business and suddenly the lake sprang up and ate the airplane right there in front of me. Water can be really hard when you smack it. 

There was another model pilot that showed up here a while back.  The thread is HERE.  He built some beautiful jets.  I don't think he wants me flying his either.  That's my little GB Sportster in the middle of the nice planes.

Edited by GregValiant

16 hours ago, ShopGeezer said:

That is why I always have a chain saw handy.

😁