Odd Artifacts on bottom few layers of vase print ABS part

Jdo300

Posted (edited) · Odd Artifacts on bottom few layers of vase print ABS part

Hello All,

I've been working on optimizing an ABS profile in Cura 4.8.0 for printing a small test part (a miniature studded vase in this case), but I am running into issues with the outside surface quality of the first few layers.

The part is printed in vase mode (spiralize outer contour) with the following basic settings:

Printer: Airwolf3D AXIOM Dual Direct Drive
Nozzle Size: 0.5 mm
Layer Height: 0.25 mm
Line Width: 0.5 mm
Top/Bottom Thickness: 1.2 mm
Print Temperature: 250 C
Bed Temperature: 130 C
Print Speed: 80 mm/s
Outer wall Speed: 60 mm/s
Top/Bottom Speed: 40 mm/s

It seems that the wall layers that correspond with the Bottom thickness have the worst quality (see attached picture). Everything above it seems to print really nicely.

What I have tried so far:

1. Adding a brim (thinking the heated bed might be overheating it) - no change
2. Reducing the print temperature thinking it was just overheating - no noticeable difference
2. Slowing down the outer wall speed (first from 60 mm/s to 40, and then all the way down to 15 mm/s) - no noticeable change in quality.

It seems that the presence of the bottom layers is doing "something" but I'm stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jason O

Test Part (Side).jpg

Test Part (Top).jpg

Edited by Jdo300

Posted (edited) · Odd Artifacts on bottom few layers of vase print ABS part
    16 minutes ago, GregValiant said:

How are the lower layers on other prints?  Does it do that if printed in PLA?

Not Sure, I haven't tried this part (or any vase mode parts) on this printer yet in PLA.

Edited by Jdo300

Posted · Odd Artifacts on bottom few layers of vase print ABS part

Not just vase mode prints, do the bottoms on any of your prints on that machine show that smashed look?  I'm asking because if that was a Creality printer I'd be thinking about Z-binding near the build plate which goes away as it gets higher.