Problem with Unsupported Cantilever Support Material (Possible Bug)

Posted · Problem with Unsupported Cantilever Support Material (Possible Bug)

I am trying to add supports to a print. Even after resetting all the support settings to default on Cura 4.8.0 (less support itself and everywhere), I can't get the settings right. Approach 1 did not work, it appears there are some issue where Cura randomly ignores the "Z overrides X/Y" setting. It appears X/Y might might override Z when support overhang angle is not met? I had increased Support X/Y Distance for approach 1, but that left weird cantilevered or unsupported section of support material (all three holes). I assume this is a bug, but I wanted to see if anyone had this problem.

I can fix most of the problem by setting the minimum support area, per approach 2, but that still leaves those small pieces of unsupported/cantilever support material (top corners of the bottom hole, looks like a layer shift).

Start:

Problem3.thumb.png.941a7d1a284ab93dd3676c0b5b24127f.png

Approach 1:

Problem2.thumb.png.2958d88cab6b7095973de8010def11b9.png

Approach 2:

Problem.thumb.png.f40ee5406d3a52c978d7177df822dbf0.png

If you are allowed to share that file then go to File | Save Project and save the resulting 3mf file here.  Along with the model it will have your printer and your settings in it.

Next to the settings search box is a drop down for setting visibility and one of the options is "All".

You mentioned "Minimum Support Area" and you have that set to 30mm².  I suggest you set it to 1mm².

Set the Support Overhang Angle = 55°.  This should never be higher than 60° and anything below 45° never needs support.

Your layer height of .1 is usually for really fine detail work.

These are mostly personal preferences of mine that you might consider.

Support - Support Floor Interface and Support Roof Interface make it easier to get the supports out.  A grid at 33% works well.

I usually use mouse ears instead of a raft.  There is a plugin for "Tab Anti-Warping" in the market place.  Stick one of appropriate size in each corner on the build plate.

There are three round holes on each side of the model.  Do you really need support in them?  I would use support blockers in there.  No matter what you do there will be small flats on the bottoms and across the tops.

It's a 57 hour print.  Good Luck.