Noob question about Ultimaker S5

sotakuma

Posted · Noob question about Ultimaker S5

Hello.

I just got my new Ultimaker S5, de one with the U logo instead of the robot (I like the robot better) =(

Anyhow, I want to ask about the process and boot time of the printer, since I came from an Ultimaker 2, the first time I turn the printer I have to be honest I tought it was broken, because the printer turn on the screen first, then turn everything off, then the screen comes back and the the chamber gets light up, after that the chamber gets almost no light, then the screen starts to flicker, turns off and the turns on back again with all the printer, that process takes about a minute. Is this normal or there's something wrong with it? This is the first printer that I know that boot up like this.

I'll really appreciate if you can guys can share a video of your boot up sequence, just for a peace of mind.

And it's also funny that every single video that i have looked on internet always skip the boot up sequence. 

Thanks.

Hello,

I can assure you that it takes forever until the printer is started.

In normal videos you will never find the startup sequence.
    I have a small YT channel myself and I can tell you for sure. A large part of the YT users have patological attention disorders. If you show something so boring, they simply switch. Of course, you don't want to cause that with a video.

Can not make you a video, because I have a bundle. I'm afraid that there the startup takes even longer. (But may well be that I make later still one 😈).

Sometimes it does not start at all. Then I must switch on the printer again.

But it is good that the printer can remain in constant operation. Switching off is not necessarily intended there.

Many greetings

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UlrichC-DE said:

Hello,

I can assure you that it takes forever until the printer is started.

In normal videos you will never find the startup sequence.
    I have a small YT channel myself and I can tell you for sure. A large part of the YT users have patological attention disorders. If you show something so boring, they simply switch. Of course, you don't want to cause that with a video.

Can not make you a video, because I have a bundle. I'm afraid that there the startup takes even longer. (But may well be that I make later still one 😈).

Sometimes it does not start at all. Then I must switch on the printer again.

But it is good that the printer can remain in constant operation. Switching off is not necessarily intended there.

Many greetings

-Switching off is not necessarily intended there.- You mean that I can put the printer in some kind of sleep mode?

Hello,

I understand this well. Had also sometimes thought at the restart: "what is now?".

In the meantime, I no longer watch. As you know, it only takes longer if you wait for it 🙂

The printer has no recognizable sleep mode, as it is known from monitors and similar devices.

But I have to leave the printer switched on, because I also have a material station.
    As soon as I switch it off, it forgets some information about the filament it has loaded.
    In addition, I have nylon in the station. This is PA6 material that becomes unusable without dehumidification.

I always leave the printer on for this reason. Except when I am out of the house for days, I turn it off.

Many greetings

11 hours ago, UlrichC-DE said:

As soon as I switch it off, it forgets some information about the filament it has loaded.

I always leave the printer on for this reason. Except when I am out of the house for days, I turn it off.

Same here.  I'm in the habit of leaving it on unless I know that I will not be using it for several days.

I haven't had it forget what filament is loaded (yet), either the Ultimaker brand with the chip in the spool, or third party with the type manually entered.

When I tried it here, it fully recognized all but two slots. It recognized the Ultimaker Red and Orange in the middle, but added a question mark. It then looked like a Generic. Probably the filament rolls were too close together. So I unloaded them again and reloaded.

Theoretically, this should work if I put all the filament rolls in the slot to the left. But I had forgotten.

But slowly it is getting better with the firmware. A year ago, it would still have confused filament rolls when recognizing.

All will be well✌️