Minimalist Head

Posted · Minimalist Head

Out of simple curiosity, and swapping over to a cross-flow setup, I started looking at some of the minimalist printheads for the UM1 with the V2 hotend. The common thread I'm noticing is that everyone except MoonCactus' butterfly mount http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:159390/#comments keeps the aluminum plate in there. I can see a couple of benefits of keeping it (strength, heat spreading), but I can see a weight drop in eliminating it. Thoughts? Anyone tried a head without the plate for the stock hotend?

Posted · Minimalist Head

The butterfly mount does away with the aluminum plate because it uses an entirely different hotend - the E3D or a J-head, I believe. I don't think you could eliminate the aluminum plate unless part of your new print head wasn't 3D printed - the PEEK just gets too hot.

I am in the process of switching my printers to the http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:208346t I designed, as the thing is super lightweight and has yet to require any maintenance after 200 some hours of fairly aggressive printing.