S5: Shaft Popping out of Bearings; How to Get Cylindrical Liner Back In?

Posted · S5: Shaft Popping out of Bearings; How to Get Cylindrical Liner Back In?

Hi, on my Ultimaker S5, the shaft that runs left to right that is closest to the front of the machine has been popping out of the bearing on the right side, (causing the long right belt to fall off the sprockets).  I can pop the shaft back into the bearing easily enough, but on the opposite side (left side) I see a black, cylindrical plastic sleeve that I assume should go into the left bearing that I can't figure out how to get onto the shaft.  I couldn't find any maintenance instructions--what do I do here?  Does the black, plastic sleeve bearing need to go over the shaft as it sits inside of the ball bearing?  

image.thumb.png.87a508757bfd43cbf01e9e16c132fc44.png

Also, any ideas how this happened?  I see that a set screw is missing on the front-left sprocket for the shaft that runs front-to-back on the left side, and one of the belts has worn down a lot from misalignment, not sure if there's anything else I should look for.

Thanks,

Caleb

Posted · S5: Shaft Popping out of Bearings; How to Get Cylindrical Liner Back In?
    2 hours ago, CalebPetersenPhD said:

I couldn't find any maintenance instructions--what do I do here?  Does the black, plastic sleeve bearing need to go over the shaft as it sits inside of the ball bearing?  

Hello

the black plastic bushings are spacers. They must be seated between the ball bearing and the belt pulley after assembly.

Theoretically, it looks the same everywhere. Only the lengths of the plastic bushings are different.

Many greetings

• Like 1

Thanks, good to know about the spacers.  Well, this shaft (the one running left-to-right towards the front of the machine) keeps starting to come out of its alignment (so far it hasn't come out of alignment so much that I can't just push it back in, but if I leave it unattended for enough time I fear that it may pop completely out).  I suppose the belts and sprockets must be misaligned somehow but I couldn't find any instructions online as to how to realign them (?)

The shaft is normally fixed by the two pulleys with a set screw. So I guess one or both of these screws are loose.

Check this website with instructions where and what to check:

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011529260-Check-for-play-on-the-Ultimaker-S5-axles