My impression stop at half STL GCODE

tenedor

Posted · My impression stop at half STL GCODE

I hope someone can help me

I make my file in SketchUp I export it as stl  to Cura 4.9.1 

I cannot see the highlights of the errors but my impression stop always at the red part

Yes I am new in this software can someone explain me please how to fix that thanks

screw 6.stl

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 5.29.05 PM.png

I haven't checked your STL but Sketchup is known to produce non working STL files for 3D Printing.

You can just try to repair the STL or even better don't use Sketch for modeling your print files.

Posted (edited) · My impression stop at half STL GCODE

Hello thanks you for your time

I did model this piece myself and I did  repair the file once at this point I have no idea what is the problem with my file

I am not allowed to send a SketchUp format

Any idea how should I repair it? Can somebody explain me what is the problem?

the print stop at this level 

Screen Shot 2021-06-06 at 9.04.29 PM.png

Edited by tenedor

I had Cura and MS 3DBuilder check it @Smithy and it appears to be OK.  As Smithy says, you have to be careful with models from Sketchup.

You didn't mention your printer.  Sometimes the SD cards can get corrupted and the end of a gcode file gets copied to the corrupt area.  The file will be partially printed.  You can open the file that is on the SD card using a text editor.  Scroll down to the end and you should see the settings section.  If you don't see that then the file is likely bad on the SD card.  You can try re-formatting the card.

It's always scary to print something that long vertically because it has such a small base.  If you were to design a support that came halfway up and had a 1mm² piece connected to the part it that would be better.

I've included a 3mf file of how I would do it.  I was too lazy to design a dedicated support, but it's on a raft and with .12 layer height and might well get to Layer 1494.  It wouldn't require near the bench work to clean it up after printing.

GV_screw6.3mf

• Like 2

Sometimes curiosity gets the best of me.  I save the ends of spools of filament to experiment.  This came out really well and the raft snapped off perfect.  There was zero bench work involved.

The print speed was 60 with outer walls at 35 but the minimum layer time came into play so it printed quite a bit slower (the gcode says 21 and 12).  The printer is a stock 8 bit Ender 3 Pro.  I don't usually post prints but with a contact patch of "not much" on the raft I thought it was notable that it held up to the180mm height.

BTW there was some leftover hairspray on the surface and I suppose it helped a bit.

DSCN2649.thumb.JPG.3ad57985fd8ba90c85371ee3b2e51640.JPG

Edited by GregValiant
    • Like 1

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩🤩

😍No way really ?

I tried to print that five times can you send me that file ?

I love you💕💕💕💕💕💕

Can you tell me how long your impression lasted?

Speed like that seems good To you?

1270523860_ScreenShot2021-06-07at1_03_51PM.thumb.png.82a8709a871f565ba9e02cbeba2c5dd5.png

Thanks a lot

My printer is the Ender 3

By the way I never did try to print vertical

Edited by tenedor

Like I said - Vertical is scary.  You just kinda gotta cross your fingers.  When it gets around layer 1000 you can see it wobble on the Infill moves, but the inner and outer walls go down well.  That's the key.

You can generate a Gcode from that 3mf file I posted (and it's what you SHOULD do) but I'll pass on the gcode.

The print speed will be calculated no matter what you put in.  Cura will adapt the speed to hit the Minimum Layer Time.  10 seconds appears to be about right.

To drive you really nuts - the OD of the small top feature came out at 5.03mm and the distance across the flats is 4.00mm.  Sorry about the dimensional error on the diameter.📏

screw6.gcode

Edited by GregValiant

Well I did screw vertical twice and work pretty good

the only problem with the vertical print  is that the piece is not very strong

So I did try to print horizontal and I still having problems

this time is the plastic seems that he have some problems to go out

I don't understand why sometimes the print is very clean and sometimes the material is not coming very well but thanks so much for your help

Edited by tenedor

If you print vertical and change the infill to 100% it would be stronger.  No matter what you do, if it is PLA it will be brittle, if it's PETG it will be flexible and maybe all the overhangs would want support.  Either way - it's plastic so it isn't going to act like steel that's for sure.

If you were to make this 2 pieces that would glue together it would be easier to make, but strength might be even more of an issue.  Going to a 16mm O.D. would help also (but I'm sure you have design constraints).

EDIT:  @tenedor - I altered the 3mf file again.  Line Width is now .35, walls are 3.5 and Infill Density is 0% (since the walls will be so thick) and there is no air gap between the part and the raft.  This should be stronger as there is more material.

Do you have a stock hot end?  I had the same one as your Ender 3 and eventually the clogs at the bottom of the bowden tube were a constant problem.  No amount of settings changes had any effect.  I installed an all-metal hot end (like a Micro-Swiss) and it has been MUCH better.  It still requires maintenance but now it is a normal schedule (instead of every hour of print time).

GV_2_screw6.3mf

Edited by GregValiant

13 hours ago, GregValiant said:

Do you have a stock hot end?  I had the same one as your Ender 3 and eventually the clogs at the bottom of the bowden tube were a constant problem.

I think that is my problem in this picture we can see it very clear but I don't understand why only happen at the same place?

I find some videos in the web that talk about that thanks a lot for your help

41882284-8fc3-49c4-85a1-d9e2f1582f2a.jpg

A clogged bowden tube can be consistent as clogging depends on the number of retractions, retraction distance, Infill and Support density, whether you have "connect infill lines" or "connect support" lines enabled, grid vs zigzag, etc.  If your settings are near the same for each gcode you tried to print then I would expect a clog to form near the same point in each print attempt.  A cold pull can remove a clog, but it usually requires that the bowden be pulled out, the nozzle removed, and the inside of the hot end be cleaned out.

Post your gcode file (the one from the SD card) and I'll take a look at it just in case something odd is happening.

Have you had trouble with any other prints stopping?

Edited by GregValiant