Ultimaker 2 with 0.8mm Nozzle

Posted · Ultimaker 2 with 0.8mm Nozzle

hi

I have been using my ultimaker 1 with a 0.8mm Nozzle for the last 2 months and i have to say that i am more than happy with the results i am getting.

Allthough prints with a lot of retraction tend to get messier than before the increase in speed is well worth it ( and i try to avoid retraction heavy prints anyway).

As i am thinking of upgrading to the Ultimaker 2 may qeuestion would be if anybody has allready tried to increase the nozzle diameter (illuminarti maybe ??) ??

thanks in advance

b

If I were you I would contact Ultimaker and ask them if they would be willing to sell you the UM2 with a spare nozzle included and how much extra that would cost and then I would learn how to "drill your own". I seriously doubt anyone out there with a UM2 has done this yet.

I have a .4mm nozzle and also a .65mm nozzle for my UM1 and I love the .65mm nozzle (for some things). I have changed back and forth twice now and it just takes a minute. Changing this on the UM2 will take more effort as the nozzle and heated chamber is a single piece.

You should beware that the UM2 has a very very small melt chamber and might not be able to print as fast as the UM1. So maybe we need someone to test this first. In fact the UM2 is already probably half as fast as the UM1 as far as melting PLA - in other words you have to print much hotter to get the same speeds. But for a .8mm nozzle you might be printing 4X to 8X slower than on the UM1 which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

But this is just a guess! The slower extrusion on the UM2 is just as likely related to the extruder strength and so the UM2 might print very very fast with a .8mm nozzle. I don't think anyone really knows.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

thanks a lot for the answer, i only saw it today (missed the notification).

i have contacted ultimaker but they haven't replied so far.

since i am still very satisfied with my UM1 i am more inclined to getting a UM1 kit or building one from scratch (i have to much free time :) and maybe upgrade to a resin printer in the second half of 2014 (which will be a completely new adventure i assume)