Cura 14.01 failed to write firmware 'Timeout' - solved

hjbinnema

Posted · Cura 14.01 failed to write firmware 'Timeout' - solved

I installed Cura 14.01

Tryed to install new firmware for Ultimaker2, but after hitting "install now", the printer restarts? leds flip off and on, and Cura reports "failed to write firmware" 'Timeout'.

What to do?

After the previous attempt I installed the firmware on my ultimaker original. this worked fine.

Just to be sure i did another attempt on the UM2. this time it succeeded!.

So no worries. It has been solved magically.

• 8 months later...

Sometimes it requires a few attempts. I have no idea yet why it does not always work. It's been a hard problem to reproduce, as it always works without problems on my laptops.

Hi Daid,

I've tried so, so many times. Still times out. . . . Is there a log somewhere that I can send that would be helpful to you? Or, maybe an older version of Cura that this doesn't happen with?

I've now tried on both a mac (10.9) and a Windows box (Win 8).

I'm going to try on an old 10.6.8 mac today. . . .

You can try the latest test version I uploaded today:

http://software.ultimaker.com/Cura_closed_beta/

I changed a bit on how the bootloader reset routine works, which should make it a bit more reliable.

I am having this problem too.

Yesterday i downloaded new CURA and run "first run wizzard " from CURA and flash MARLIN firmware.

After that I cant connect to printer, neither flash again firmware. It stays at "Please connect the printer to your computer....." and nothing happens.

I tried to compile and flash with ARDUINO, again no answer from Ultimaker....

Tried all USB ports, and nothing happens.

But I see after that, when I power ON Ultimaker, all three motor are locked(i cant move extruder and hotend.)

Please can someone help me? Is there any hard reset on UM or something like that ?

Thanks !

This did not helped me.

I solve with disconnecting temp all temp sensors :S

Hi at all....

i have same problem,im remove ad reinstall arduino,all ok,is a com8 115200

im restart cura 14.09 but is not possible connect to printer,im power off the printer,remove all cable,wait few second,connect only usb,retest the connection for insert a firmware and after more test it run,im very happy,and continue,at second step,cura not connected at UM...

you have a solution for me ??

thanks

I had the same problem. Just disconnect power supply. That works!

im test it now...thanks

it not work...it stopped when search connections....

I have the same problem: see my topic about "Ultimaker original Printer seems to be dead".

After some e-mails to Ultimaker, they concluded that my Motherboard should be defect. So I build in the new motherboard I had to buy. No results. Only the extruder could be heated, but my heated bed, nor the movement of the axes worked.

Than I got the suggestion to build custom Marlin firmware, which I did. I made a dozen different configurations. Again no results.

The problem started when I installed Cura 14.9 and downloaded the default firmwere. Before My system worked excellent.

So I am also desperate and still can not work with my Ultimaker original.

hi,im now wait a new original arduino maga....

one question...please,write me exactly the step for run the ultimaker,im thin im make a mistake....

im test blink on arduino and it run ok...

im insert mega on ultimaker board,install the firmware(Run Cura,open first run.....) the firmware go inside arduino,but on display not look nothing,the otor not move,only the motor of Z make a little sound,it have little torque.

other my test of run this 3d printer,the Y axis move to end stop,but one step per second....

im not undestand where is the problem and difficoulty,im look more videos of first start and the boy run he ultimaker at fist

You have a original arduino ??

i have this kit for ultimaker...Ebay auction

151256292420 but not run nothing and the seller not undestand where is the problem...

hi,i have now install arduino mega original,but i have same problem,im not have the comunication with ultimaker .....

you have a idea for me ??

unfortunately the seller answere at my "SOS"

it write me that:

"Thank you for your query. To be honest, this ultimaker 1.5.7 is an upgrade version. The connectors are different with the original one. If you are not familar with ultimaker, I do not suggest you buy it. On the other hand, I would like to know some more details about your connection problem. Do you see any error message?"

im think for solve my problem,i have 2 road....1rewrite in my firmware the exact pin 2 search a firmware for this board....

but i have one question.....the other people if buy that board...have same my roblem ??