Ultimaker S5 and CPE

LePaul

Posted · Ultimaker S5 and CPE

Hi

Quick question,

I know that CPE is pretty shrinky and I have a peer that wants a part made using it.

What information on shrinkage could I provide him so he can design around that?  Do we have a percentage/ratio of how much shrink to expect and design around it?

Hi @LePaul, hope you are well! If you would visit the CPE TDS you see that CPE is said to have good dimensional stability, but the thermal shrinkage metric is empty. So that still doesn't tell us much. That's why I asked some of our material engineers and they said for the material itself you can expect a shrinkage of 0.2 - 0.4%. You probably also know that the exact shape or size of the model is also relevant, and the speed at which you decide to print something. But hopefully these percentages will tell you that the shrinkage of the material itself is not so grand. Let me know if you have any further questions! 

• Like 1

Hi @SandervG, long time no see....still got the beard??

Yes we provide the engineers and technicians with those TDS and SDS sheets and sometimes they ask us for more!

The part was two rectangular pieces that should fit one over the other.  One was notably different that the other.  

Thanks for moving the post to the correct thread!

18 minutes ago, LePaul said:

still got the beard??

Of course! 😄 🧔🏻 It has never been easier when all barbershops are closed for half a year 😉 

20 minutes ago, LePaul said:

and sometimes they ask us for more!

That is totally understandable, and feel free to always post those questions here on the forum. I can check with our material engineers if we have data on or a decent indication on what you are looking for. 

18 minutes ago, LePaul said:

ps the Thermal Properties section for CPE is blank under Thermal Shrikage

Yes, that is why I said in my previous response (perhaps you missed it): 'That's why I asked some of our material engineers and they said for the material itself you can expect a shrinkage of 0.2 - 0.4%.' This does not mean the only shrinkange or dimensional inaccuracy you will encounter is 0.2 - 0.4%, this is purely the shrinkage of the material you should account for. 

Hope this helps! 

No worries, happy to help! Never underestimate the importance of coffee! 😄