Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
znib

Cura not generating support where needed

Hi,

I wanted to print this spider which was mentioned in another thread here.

No matter which settings I try, Cura 14.01 does not create support for the two fangs on the head and I doubt they will print in mid air... Is this a bug or did I miss an option somewhere?

Also, if I enable brim, which is probably necessary for the legs, it also generates brim for the support, is it possible to only generate brim for the actual object, but not for the support?

If you want to try it yourself, you can scale it down to 0.3 to make the toolpath load faster, it still shows the effect.

Do you guys think it should be possible to print this with 0% infill?

I believe someone suggested 0% infill in the thread you mentioned.

Yup:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4032-print-spider-fail/?p=32194

Good old, illuminarti; that guy could print out a duplicate of himself and no one would know the difference.

I'm just guessing this is the same piece though, your link sent me to a 404 page

Strange, I tried it in 13.12 and I'm getting the same result. Even tried a few different "Fix horrible" options without any success. I think it would be a good idea for you to send a link to that model to daid and let him know about it.

And like illuminarti suggests it could probably be printed without infill. Actually lots of stuff can print hollow with a thick enough top surface (so that it can fully close even if some of the bridging fails on the first layers). Personally I'm a fan of infill though so I leave it on most of the time :)

I believe someone suggested 0% infill in the thread you mentioned.

Yup:

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/4032-print-spider-fail/?p=32194

Good old, illuminarti; that guy could print out a duplicate of himself and no one would know the difference.

I'm just guessing this is the same piece though, your link sent me to a 404 page

Sorry for the broken link, I fixed it.

I read the other thread yesterday before illuminarti answered, and then tried to print it today. :-) But I'm glad he thinks it should print without infill. It really speeds things up if you print without. And everyone who lifts an object without infill is suprised how incredibly light it is. :-)