Cura Slicing Internal Surface Within Object

chdgriff

Posted · Cura Slicing Internal Surface Within Object

I'm using Cura v4.10.0 and trying to print this chain link but they have these divides within the links.

File link: spiral_chain_30_links_0.5m.stl : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4870061

It's not the z-seam as changing the location to random does nothing other than move the seams and the hexagons do not seem to correspond to their location.

I did notice that if I look at the model before I slice it, they are these hexagonal faces. The stl preview is able to correctly render the shape but the slicer tries to print it.

Is this a bug and is there any way to workaround it?

Chain_full.thumb.png.9eb01ad2e0506635d72bfd0176426a16.png

Stl view seems to be correctly rendered

59523328_Chainpreslice.thumb.png.0aedaa595d31f06d8aa03786b5a23ff2.png

You can see the internal hexagons that were maybe used to create the original chain shapes?

Chain.thumb.png.4b4e13c6062e50409673a5787717f375.png

The slicer then divides each chain where the hexagon was instead of just printing the solid object.

netfabb free repair service is here (you have to create a free account first):
    https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

Here's another service - drag and drop mesh repair service:
    https://3d-print.jomatik.de/en/index.php

Some people recommend tinkercad - it's free - you import your stl into tinkercad and then export it to a new stl and tinkercad will fix many issues.

By the way - that hexagon is infinitely thin so it should print fine - it will have a line at the hexagon but it should print fine as the shells (red lines above) are touching and will melt together.