Replacement pattern with {...} won't get replaced

Uwe11

Posted (edited) · Replacement pattern with {...} won't get replaced

Hi there,

I have some strange behavior when slicing, which is probably just because I don't see my mistake. I'm using some custom start code. One of the lines contain for example 

M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}

My expectaion would be to see something like "M140 S60" in the sliced G-Code file, but what I see is for example this:

;FLAVOR:Marlin
M73 P0
M117 Time Left 0h40m33s
;TIME:2433
;Filament used: 1.01777m
;Layer height: 0.1
;MINX:79.625
;MINY:74.192
;MINZ:0.1
;MAXX:150.375
;MAXY:144.942
;MAXZ:27.65
;POSTPROCESSED
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.10.0
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
; Ender 3 Start G-Code
M501                                                                   ; Standardwerte laden
M82                                                                      ; absolute Extrusion
M117 Vorbereiten                                                         ; Info am LCD
M107                                                                   ; Bauteil-Lüfter aus
M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0}                   ; Bett heizen
M104 S180                                                                        ; Düse vorwärmen

There is no M140 from Cura before my start code. That basically indicates that Cura recognized that I have own temperture settings in my start code. Fine!
But why do I still see the variable name instead of the value?

And an additional question: is there a posibility to make an easy calculation in custom start code? Somthing like "M140 S{material_bed_temperature_layer_0} + 15.0" ?

Thanks!

Edited by Uwe11

Posted · Replacement pattern with {...} won't get replaced

To answer the second part of your question: no, there is no way to do simple math with the replacement patterns.

• Thanks 1

I don't see why/how the pattern replacement is not working from the snippet you posted; the spelling seems correct.

Can you save a project file (using File -> Save project...) and post a link to it here? Then I can have a look at your exact start gcode, as well as any postprocessing and other settings that could affect this.

• 4 months later...

I have exactly the same problem. My start code I have used on earlier versions ie 4.9 and earlier and the {settings-key} has been replaced with the correct value into the Gcode. I am using Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia and hence using the appimage.

18 hours ago, adlong said:

I have exactly the same problem.

I'll ask the exact same question then:

On 7/8/2021 at 10:01 PM, ahoeben said:

Can you save a project file (using File -> Save project...) and post a link to it here? Then I can have a look at your exact start gcode, as well as any postprocessing and other settings that could affect this.

Good morning @adlong and @ahoeben.

Adlong - One typo can ruin your whole day and two can make things twice as difficult.

G1 Y5.1 X200.0 Z0.28 F{print_speed] E15    ; Draw the first line

There are two things here.

1. The ending square bracket is one typo and is interfering with ALL the replacements.
    2. {print_speed} doesn't exist as a keyword.  {speed_print} would work but it's in mm/sec rather than mm/min.  What you are trying to do can't be done at this time.  There are a couple of requests on GitHub for a replacement keyword in mm/min but it hasn't happened yet.

What it appears you want is for the line to read:

G1 Y5.1 X200.0 Z0.28 F3600 E15

What you get with the curly brackets fixed and "speed_print" inside will be:

G1 Y5.1 X200.0 Z0.28 F60 E15

which is 1mm/sec and will be extremely slow.

• Like 1

Thank you. The code now works. the typo and wrong keyword must have occurred when editing whil trying to reduce speed of lines for elastic material

I have a second Ender 3 Pro installed in Cura for TPU.  The StartUp Gcode is the only difference and that was to account for the print speed of the purge lines.

Greg. I have now deleted the purge lines and now just use a skirt with a minimum length, or make a brim big enough.