UM2 Firmware feature requests

Nicolinux

Posted · UM2 Firmware feature requests

Hi,

I have some firmware feature requests.

• Center the head when moving filament manually.
    Right now the head moves to the back/left when moving filament manually and it is not as easy as it could be to snag of the extruded filament strands.
  • Add the possibility to manually extrude after changing filament.
    The last step in the filament changing process continuously extrudes filament and the extruder starts skipping/grinding pretty quickly. This can't be good so I always keep this time to a minimum. But in order to extrude enough filament (especially when changing colors), you have to extrude manually and slowly so the extruder won't skip constantly.
  • LED settings
    Make the "Glow when done" setting "additive". I would like to keep the lights on while printing and also have them glow when done.
  • Possibility to name a filament preset.
    I know it might get ugly because implementing a keyboard with the wheel isn't fun. But right now having a bunch of CustomX presets isn't fun either. Maybe it would be possible to do it via Cura.

Thanks.

starts skipping/grinding pretty quickly. This can't be good so I always keep this time to a minimum.

Hasn't been a problem for me. I even walk away for a few minutes when changing colors. The motor is on extra low current so it skips steps pretty easily and causes no harm to the stepper. If you get any grinding either you have an unusual filament type or something else is wrong (extruder tension too tight probably).

At first, I had this problem. A nibbled filament! :oops:

Jai turn the screw to relax a little so that it marks the filament but frankly without nibble.

The cursor is a bit above the middle now. Tension remains high and sufficient. :geek:

The Cura level suggestion, if I may say so :

I would see a temperature display for printing on the first line. Remove line indications printing (one line while high) not used.

Similarly, I would like one day a function in cura (since it plays gcode level) to start the first 2 layers at 75 ° C heated bed. Then down to 55 ° C and end at about 5 minutes from the end printing at 30 ° C. In this way, the product exit without deformation and without product forced more. This option would adjust for addon (but it would be preferable to be able to do in Cura).

Thank you very much. :wink:

Hi,

I have some firmware feature requests.

• Center the head when moving filament manually.

Right now the head moves to the back/left when moving filament manually and it is not as easy as it could be to snag of the extruded filament strands.

• Add the possibility to manually extrude after changing filament.

The last step in the filament changing process continuously extrudes filament and the extruder starts skipping/grinding pretty quickly. This can't be good so I always keep this time to a minimum. But in order to extrude enough filament (especially when changing colors), you have to extrude manually and slowly so the extruder won't skip constantly.

• LED settings

Make the "Glow when done" setting "additive". I would like to keep the lights on while printing and also have them glow when done.

• Possibility to name a filament preset.

I know it might get ugly because implementing a keyboard with the wheel isn't fun. But right now having a bunch of CustomX presets isn't fun either. Maybe it would be possible to do it via Cura.

Thanks.

The "glow when done" setting does exactly that, has the LEDs on when printing, and glowing when done. (and off while not printing) If you have multiple printers, this is the best visible indicator to see what state every printer is in from a distance.

The skipping of the motor at the end of the load filament is intentional, the motor power is lowered so it skips instead of grinds. Much better for your filament.

The naming of presets is possible in the code. But I haven't got around to make proper control codes to do so. I prepared for this, but so much to do so little time :(

Hey Daid ! :eek:

We have all the time. This is a suggestion for the future :-P

And certainly the community can do in help for you...

In the meantime, can we make the system temperature with a small add-on, a script? :cool:

The "glow when done" setting does exactly that, has the LEDs on when printing, and glowing when done. (and off while not printing) If you have multiple printers, this is the best visible indicator to see what state every printer is in from a distance.

The thing is, I'd like to have the led's always on and still have it glow when done. Right now I can only have either.

The skipping of the motor at the end of the load filament is intentional, the motor power is lowered so it skips instead of grinds. Much better for your filament.

Ok, I couldn't differentiate between this low power grinding and the grinding sound that occurs durring printing.

The naming of presets is possible in the code. But I haven't got around to make proper control codes to do so. I prepared for this, but so much to do so little time :(

Don't worry. I is a nice to have. When you are bored and don't know what to do, think if this little issue :)