Show elapsed time in UltiController/UM2

Nicolinux

Posted · Show elapsed time in UltiController/UM2

It would be nice and an useful reality check to show the real elapsed time when the print is done. Cura isn't 100% accurate and I'd like to record printing times for future reference.

thx.

@Daid: Is there a formal way/tool to submit bug reports and feature requests. What do you prefer? Github? Here in the forums (maybe special subforum)?

I was just thinking about this last night. I was printing a 7(ish) hour print and I was messing around with the speed setting back and forth to check the limits (0.2mm, 60-65mm/s, 260C looks to be my limit). What I noticed is that when it was nearing the end the progress bar was full and it sat at "1 minute remaining" for a hell of a lot longer than 1 minute. I sat there thinking it'd be done any second but ended up walking away eventually. It would've been interesting to know how long it actually took.

I wouldn't mind a much more "technical" readout during a print either. Like, actual percentage complete, line #'s and the like. Perhaps something that could be enabled in the future for those who want the extra details?

+1

Make it an optional so "normal" users can have their pretty petty UI while serious people bask in the gory details.

Here's the stuff I'd love to see:

• Elapsed time (only when print is finished)
    • Layer number
    • Temperature
    • Speed
    • Fan speed (until 100%, then hide)

I'm thinking maybe something along these lines? This particular example would require an additional two fonts to be included though (well, one full, and one only for numbers and %), not sure if there's enough space left for that. But just for giggles:

Um2 display example

I want you not to spoil the fun and maybe I am with my concern here is not put in the right. So please forgive me. In general I also like many status information on the display, but I think currently there are more important things to be clarified.

Edit...OffTopic Questions deleted by myself :smile: 01.14.2014 18:40pm

Markus

The competition does not sleep for the remaining time. Alternative machines are improving and prices fall. The Ultimaker2 is prepared for a second print head. I suspect the hardware is already there, it would have to be identical to the first print head. Is it so in problems with Cura, to make the second print head available? If the existing power supply have enough power? What are the plans for the coming period?

Power supply is designed for the 2nd head. Cura is ready for 2 extruders (as it already works for the UM-Original). 2nd feeder can be fitted. Firmware is prepared for it. That's not the problem. We've actually build dual-extrusion UM2 machines as test.

There is a problem with putting in a 2nd hottend and preventing it from clogging, a single hotend works, but 2 hotends combined produce too much heat which is transfered from one to the other, causing plugs. We have someone working on solving it. But right now it looks like there need to be some changes to the hotend for it to work in dual extrusion.

Back on topic. What do you think of the proposed Interface changes?

The fans are unable to report their speed so that can't be added to the readout.

This topic is for me very interesting and I think it's generally very good, that will be discussed at all corners improvements of the machine. But I would be happy if the rest of my questions, even if they are a bit uncomfortable, but still be answered in some form. Maybe a small statement is indeed possible in a suitable location.

Markus

Hey Markus, it might be better to move your questions to a new post. This way we can keep the discussion on topic (and won't scare Daid away :)

Playing around a bit more. Looks a bit empty on the right though :)

Um2 display example2

I like the first one better.

Maybe you get LAYER & Z-Heigt on one line. Then UltimakerRobot fits again.

Well, LAYER will require a lot of space. Then maybe HEIGHT behind FAN.

I realize none of these may see the light of day but I like farting around with it.

Um2 display example3

No space for the file name?

I decided to remove it. I mean, you know what you're printing, right? Personally I've never felt the need to look at that part of the display at all since I know I'm printing "prototype 3" or whatever it is.

True, but it is also possible to create an option?

Just as Nicolinux mentioned in the introduction. A screen for beginners and one for experts?

i really like how you put so much in this screen ,i want this screen ..can you help out?? with the marlin may b .