How do i change the plate orientation? its making some nasty noises when hitting border due to wrong orientation

Posted · How do i change the plate orientation? its making some nasty noises when hitting border due to wrong orientation

What printer is it and which printer definition did you install in Cura?

Also, can you explain a bit more about what's going on?

Under "Manage Printers" and "Machine Settings" are boxes for Machine Width and Machine Depth.  From what I see of the Monoprice IIIP it's 120x120x120 so you really shouldn't be having an issue.

Posted · How do i change the plate orientation? its making some nasty noises when hitting border due to wrong orientation

my printer is 8x6(150x200 approx) So i have 2 round shaped objects and when i start the print, it starts printing in the x axis (6in) but i need it to print in like portrait orientation(y axis/8 inch), hopefully i made some sense.

The build plate you see in Cura has X=0, Y=0 in the left front corner.  +X goes to the right and +Y goes to the back.

The actual printer build plate will also have X=0 and Y=0 at the left front corner.  Cura and the printer have to match.  Auto-Home the printer.  The nozzle is at 0,0.  Now stand by the machine to look at it - make the nozzle position the left front corner.

In Cura, go to Settings | Printer | Manage Printers | Machine Settings.  Set the X(width) and Y(depth) to match your printer.

If you make a change in those numbers then the virtual plate in Cura will change size to reflect the numbers you entered.  Place your models so they fit.

It's possible that you may have to set the Home Offset on the printer.  The printer doesn't actually know where the build plate is in space.  When you level the bed you set the Z and by setting the home offset you set the XY.  When the printer reads a gcode file it will put the gcode 0,0,0 at the Home Offset 0,0,0 and not at the auto-home position.  That is important to get your prints in the center of the bed.

• Like 1

heres a clear example of what im talking about.

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 7.34.41 PM.png

IMG_3991.JPG

De-select Origin at Center.  The origin is the left front corner.