my 3D printer is 350x350x400 . my model is 330x330x24 and it prints it half the size

pierjean

Posted · my 3D printer is 350x350x400 . my model is 330x330x24 and it prints it half the size

Using Ultimaker Cura 4.10.0 with a Ender5  plus printer. the bed / working area  is 350x350x400 I am trying to print a square frame 330x330x24. everything seems correct the size is reported the bottom left but when printing it is making a frame 1/4 of the model size  165x165..

I looked everywhere, there is a lot of advice how to scale but I do no want to scale. my scaling functions show the correct size.

I am totally puzzled. any help will be appreciated!
Pierjean

Posted (edited) · my 3D printer is 350x350x400 . my model is 330x330x24 and it prints it half the size

If the model is 330 x 330 on the build plate in Cura then that is the size it will slice.  To my knowledge there is no further scaling of a model within Cura to generate the gcode.  Do you happen to be using Octoprint?  Do you have a post-processing plugin active?

If you open the gcode file with a text editor, at the beginning of the file Cura inserts comments on the model size plus the room taken up by a skirt/brim/raft.  If you subtract MinX from MaxX and MinY from MaxY you will get the amount of floor space that the model takes up.

This is from a 25 x 25 cube sliced with no skirt or brim:

;MINX:102.7
    ;MINY:102.7
    ;MINZ:0.2
    ;MAXX:127.3
    ;MAXY:127.3
    ;MAXZ:25

Because there is no skirt or brim:  MaxX - MinX + LineWidth = ModelSize so 127.3 - 102.7 = 24.6 + .4 line width = 25.   If it was sliced with a 10mm brim the math would come out to 45.

Post-processing a Gcode file to mirror it is pretty easy, but scaling a gcode file is not.

Edited by GregValiant