How to skip Add Printer step when opening Cura

dwardzala

Posted · How to skip Add Printer step when opening Cura

I have a non-networked printer and every time I start Cura I have to select a new printer (and it creates a new profile for it.)  Cura has the profile for my printer saved?  How do I get Cura to recognize this and not force me through the add printer steps?  Using 4.8 if it matters.  Thanks in advance.

I have not tested this yet, but you could try removing the file named "SV01.global.cfg" from the "machine_instances" folder of that configuration folder.

• Like 1

So I moved all those machine profiles out of that folder.  Started Cura and got the add printer dialog (expected since there were no profiles in the directory).  Added the printer and restared Cura.  The dialog box did NOT come back which is the correct behavior.

Thanks for the assist.  I am not sure which config file was causing the issue and I guess if I really want to know I can add them back in one at a time, but I am glad it is working now.  

There are still a significant amount of messages (errors and debug) in the log but a lot less than before.  I don't know if that is normal but if not, I'd love to get the rest of it sorted out if its not.

cura.log

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · How to skip Add Printer step when opening Cura

Now that you've manually edited the configuration folder, I recommend that you just start over one last time. There are still files in the configuration that confuse Cura. The best way to start with a fully clean slate is to remove *all* the files from the 4.8 folder, but leave the empty 4.8 folder in place. If you just remove the 4.8 folder, Cura may import the configuration files from an older version of Cura (eg 4.7), and you may be stuck with broken files again from the start.

Edited by ahoeben
    • Like 1

Thanks for all the help.  It looks like its working as advertised.  Second load after deleting the contents of the 4.8 directory behaved as expected.  Log file is much much smaller and they are all INFO, WARNING and DEBUG msgs.

Cura is also loading faster, too.

Posted (edited) · How to skip Add Printer step when opening Cura

The original question this topic was about was not answered - how do we skip the add printer wizard?

I need to install the octoprint addon for my printer  - it's networked and too far away, and Cura's networked printer support doesn't work. In old versions of Cura this was a simple thing to accomplish - but now this wizard will not allow me to skip it and I cannot use the app at all. Why did someone think it was a good idea to skip adding a skip button on a wizard?

Edited by Routhinator

To use the OctoPrint connection plugin, you still need to add and configure a printer in Cura first. So no, it is not a good idea to add a skip button here, since Cura does not work without a printer configured.

You need to add a non-networked printer to Cura, and then configure the OcotPrint connection plugin to point it to your octoprint instance.

To elaborate a bit, Cura does actually let plugins "hook into" the "Add a networked printer" functionality a bit. The reason I never added support for that is that Cura does not have a way to know the type (brand/model) of printer that is configured in OctoPrint, so I would still need to ask the user to select a printer type from the long list. And you would somehow have to install the OctoPrint Connection plugin before starting Cura. That just makes it too much work for too little gain.

• Like 1